Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I don't understand how I could F*&k up a simple speedo swap but it looks like I did. Supposed to be an easy 5 min swap which it was. Speedo tooth gear # pointed in 6 o'clock position, yes. I watched video online and read the tutorial on how to install the gear prior to doing so. I start driving and my speedo is not working and I hear a little grinding sound so I park and pull out speedo gear and notice that the outer teeth have grind marks on them.. I reinstall and it doesn't work, I reinstall again and it doesn't work. I go to put back in the speedo gear that I took off and the speedo doesn't work. What the hell did I or am I doing wrong? :banghead:

·
Yipeee Kay Ayyy
2,839 Posts
There are only 4 positions the speedo housing can be re-inserted.
Mine didn't work in 3 positions - I didn't get any grind marks though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are only 4 positions the speedo housing can be re-inserted.
Mine didn't work in 3 positions - I didn't get any grind marks though.
I just have the worst luck! F&*in speedo gear! I just reinserted it and I am going to try it again. I have the numbers lined up at 6 oclock for a 39 tooth gear.. I inserted the clamp and made sure I slide it all the way down as far as it will go.. Let's see if it works now. Of course it starts raining and I have my doors and everything off. Shit!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turn it towards the higher number position, set it in then turn to the number that matches the speedo gear.
I have this thing pointed down (six o"clock) matching the 39 tooth gear. I wonder if something is wrong with the electrical connector.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wonder if something is wrong with the electrical connector.
Doubt it... When I did mine, I didn't get the gear into the speed sensor far enough. It had alot of pressure that last 1/4 inch. It rode on the side of the gear.

The sensor is a cam. Set it in on the largest setting. Then turn it until it stops. then set the bolt at the nearest groove.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi all,

I don't understand how I could F*&k up a simple speedo swap but it looks like I did. Supposed to be an easy 5 min swap which it was. Speedo tooth gear # pointed in 6 o'clock position, yes. I watched video online and read the tutorial on how to install the gear prior to doing so. I start driving and my speedo is not working and I hear a little grinding sound so I park and pull out speedo gear and notice that the outer teeth have grind marks on them.. I reinstall and it doesn't work, I reinstall again and it doesn't work. I go to put back in the speedo gear that I took off and the speedo doesn't work. What the hell did I or am I doing wrong? :banghead:
This is what happened to the gear..still cannot get it to work. Is this gear still usable?

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
I didn't know about all that when I changed mine just knew it didn't work so I took mine out and put it back in about ten times before I got it to work but it never looked like yours

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
10 Times? I don't understand this damn thing. Supposed to be so easy to do and it is taking if on and off but I cant get it to work with the old gear now either. At least the old gear is not getting chewed up.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I don't see that you did but did you try it in the other positions? Being that just the edge was chewed, it was not full engaged. You need to rotate the housing to the next position further in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't see that you did but did you try it in the other positions? Being that just the edge was chewed, it was not full engaged. You need to rotate the housing to the next position further in.
So rotate is out further? If I did that then the spot where 39 tooth is facing will be 8-9 oclock. I actually did that and it was making a loud noise so I stopped.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
In further so it makes contact.

·
Registered
198 Posts
This is what happened to the gear..still cannot get it to work. Is this gear still usable?
Doesn't look too bad, should still work. Just forget about where you think it should be, and try another position. If it is crooked, it's wrong. You'll get it...

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
I think you are getting in/out mixed up. I mean rotate the housing. The housing as indicated above is cam shaped. Rotating it moves the gear in (closer), out (further) relative to the tailshaft gear.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, so I got another 39 tooth gear and my jeep is still eating the side of the gear. I have it installed properly as I put the original 34 tooth gear back in and it works fine. I was doing some online research as this is driving my effing crazy. I saw an older post where someone had the same issue and said it was due to the terra SYE kit. Here is a portion of the old post "The tera low SYE kit uses Snap rings which hold the internal gear to the shaft.. Where they come together, there is a protrusion or "dog ear" if you will.. Now, since that 39 tooth gear is so much larger than the stock 34 tooth gear, the aforementioned "Dog Ear" basically chewed up yet another $95 39 tooth gear. I was absolutely beside myself, but the guys at 4 wheel parts luckily found a 35 tooth gear and promptly installed it.. Instead of 10 MPH off, I am now 5mph off.."

I order my drive shaft and terra sye from savvy and I am not sure if the terra sye and the one mentioned in the previous post being a 'terry sye low" is the same thing. Anyone else have this issue while installing the larger 39 tooth speedo gear with a terra sye?

thanks!

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Slightly off topic but from what I understand, there are two types of speedo gears, short and long shafts... Would having the wrong type of shaft make a difference here for the OP??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Slightly off topic but from what I understand, there are two types of speedo gears, short and long shafts... Would having the wrong type of shaft make a difference here for the OP??
From reading through his posts it looks like he had a LJ. So, same Jeep that I have. I stand correct..He had 2000 TJ sport

1 - 20 of 29 Posts