Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 yj, I bought it with the speedometer not working. I tried changing the speed sensor. Checked the voltage at the speed sensor and its there. I bought a used cluster and replaced that and it still doesn't work, unless the new used cluster is bad. Any ideas?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also all the dash lights work except the one behind the speedometer, don't know if this is related or not. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
I would say that its in the circuit board on the back side of the speedo. Maybe do a continuity test on the wiring harness from the t-case to the dash.

The circuit board is a very sensitive, POS, that was a bad idea from day one. And expensive to replace as well. If the light doesnt work either, and you have deciphered that it isnt just a bad bulb, then perhaps it might be a bad ground to the circuit board.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ill check that, I thought for sure it was the gauge cluster until I installed the new one and it did exactly what the old one did. I found it very odd that all the lights work except the speedometer light even with the new used speedometer. What's the chances of buying another bad speedometer. LOl

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
The speed sensor has teeth that spin to detect speed if I'm not mistaken. Pull the sensor and check the teeth on it and see if they are even there.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already checked that and it looks good, even pulled the speed sensor out and spun it with a cordless drill while still hooked up and still didn't work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 95 yj, I bought it with the speedometer not working. I tried changing the speed sensor. Checked the voltage at the speed sensor and its there. I bought a used cluster and replaced that and it still doesn't work, unless the new used cluster is bad. Any ideas?
Did u ever get your speedometer working? I have a similar issue.

·
Super Moderator
13,372 Posts
The last time Crash98 posted was in Aug 2014. He may not see your post. It'd be better to start a new thread describing all your symptoms and everything you've done to try to cure your issue.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The last time Crash98 posted was in Aug 2014. He may not see your post. It'd be better to start a new thread describing all your symptoms and everything you've done to try to cure your issue.

Good Luck, L.M.
Thanks Luckymac. Just giving it a shot. May start a new thread soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts