Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
I changed my speedo gear to a 31 tooth get for my 33's and 3.73 Dana 44. Now it's a solid 3 mph too fast compared to GPS.

I put the gear back at the 5 o'clock position to align with the mounting bracket. Is the 5 o'clock position based on looking at the gear housing from the left side of the vehicle or in line with the drive train?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have an idea?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,390 Posts
A 31 tooth speedometer gear is indeed the correct one for 33's and the 3.73 ratio. I'm not sure what to tell you unless the retailer of the speedometer gear didn't actually give you a 31 tooth gear.

The chart on the below website has been GPS verified.

Changing Your Jeep Speedometer Gear

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Are your tires actually 31's, or are they a p-metric size? Just FYI, if the speedo is off, it will be off as a percentage and not a fixed amount. If it is off 3 mph at 60 mph, it will be off .5 mph at 10 mph.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello all
I changed my speedo gear to a 31 tooth get for my 33's and 3.73 Dana 44. Now it's a solid 3 mph too fast compared to GPS.

I put the gear back at the 5 o'clock position to align with the mounting bracket. Is the 5 o'clock position based on looking at the gear housing from the left side of the vehicle or in line with the drive train?

Thoughts?
I just did this to mine. Look at the speedo housing, its got the ranges, not sure what they are off the top of my head, but fine the one inclusive of 31, and point it straight down. Realign as close as possible. Mine is dead on

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I checked, the bag said 31. I am going to pull it and count the teeth. As far as mounting it straight down, if I do so, then the slots won't align with the mounting bracket. Input it at the 5 o'clock position for the bracket tabs to align. I'm guessing the gear package was mislabeled.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I believe there are three different positions you could put the speedo gear housing in. Controlled by the retaining fork. Might want to verify you have that in the right position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I tried all of the suggestions, but the only way the gear engages the transmission is to have the numbers on the housing align with 5 o'clock, and then the speedo is off 2.5 mph at 50....so 5% (speed says I am going faster than I actually am). I checked it against 3 GPS apps on my phone and they all were in alignment. Perplexing.

I ordered another 31 tooth gear from a different vendor, let;s see if that works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts