Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I got some issues with my 99 wrangler sport 4.0. First off my speedometer is off by ten miles and hour. How can I fix this? The other one is since I bought this jeep I've replaced the exhaust manifold because it had a giant crack. I could literally twist it off the exhaust with my hands. Anyways just installed the new one everything went fine, its quieter and I'm getting better gas milage but I'm not sure I'm getting all the power out of it that I should be it's very hard to get it above 60 miles an hour. Anyone have any suggestions.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Is your speedo reading 10 mph faster or slower?

What I'm wondering is if maybe the previous owner was running 33's or 35's...and regeared and everything, but decided to sell it...with the stock tires and the new gears.

My Jeep with 31's can do 80+ with no trouble...aside from it beginning to get a little scary at those speeds.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Seems like it used to have larger tires then, you'll need a new speedo gear. Reference the above chart and find the gear you need. Easy to swap speedo gears.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
10 mph at what speed? As indicated changing gearing or tires will affect the speedometer reading. You need to have the correct speedometer gear for your setup. The speedometer error will be a linear percentage. The faster you go, the greater the error will be.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I just read it I looks pretty easy. So the 34 tooth gear, is that what comes stock in the 99 wrangler sport 4.0?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,374 Posts
So the 34 tooth gear, is that what comes stock in the 99 wrangler sport 4.0?
That depends on what axle ratio the Sport came with and what size tire the factory installed. The Sport could have come with 3.07 or 3.73 and several tire sizes up to 30".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts