Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to re-gear. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer whether these gears are made in the USA.
A local shop specializing in diff work, warranties their install for 3 years, IF I go with Sierra Gears. These are made in Italy , so they tell me. They also claim all other gears are made in Asia, including Spicer.
Another local 4x4 shop will install any gears I want. They told me their warranty is forever, if it has anything to do with the install.
Seems to me any installation issues would show up right away. I really want Spicer gears, but if they are not made here then it really doesn’t matter.
Both shops will do the Job for around $1,800. I really want made in USA components on my rig. Are there any other options ?

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I think G2 gears are made in the US

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Spicer is the only gear that may be built in the US at this moment. I say may because they manufacture world wide. The key is not if the gears are made here the key is if they are design, engineer and QC are here in the states.

·
Super Moderator
4,870 Posts
I really don't care where my gears are made, only that they are well made.
As I recall, Spicer offers a budget brand and the main brand. The main brand was supposedly made here and the off brand version was foreign.
I have Yukon gears, they have been perfect so far.
I have no idea who Sierra Gears is, that is not a brand I would be going for unless the shop doing the install work wanted them (and they would stand behind them).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Getting ready to re-gear. I can’t seem to find a definitive answer whether these gears are made in the USA.
A local shop specializing in diff work, warranties their install for 3 years, IF I go with Sierra Gears. These are made in Italy , so they tell me. They also claim all other gears are made in Asia, including Spicer.
Another local 4x4 shop will install any gears I want. They told me their warranty is forever, if it has anything to do with the install.
Seems to me any installation issues would show up right away. I really want Spicer gears, but if they are not made here then it really doesn’t matter.
Both shops will do the Job for around $1,800. I really want made in USA components on my rig. Are there any other options ?
Checking the DANA Spicer website: For more than a century, the Spicer® name has been built on a legacy of success with trusted drivetrain solutions for cars, commercial vehicles, off-highway machines, military vehicles, and those adapted for high-performance applications. Manufactured in Dana facilities around the world, every Spicer part is designed and produced to the same exacting standards as specified by original equipment manufacturers, ensuring that vehicles operate at peak performance levels.
There is a Contact Them shows this:
Aftermarket Service and Support
DanaAftermarket.com

·
Super Moderator
22,440 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
@TerryC6 Yes ,that makes a big difference. As a machinist making my living in American manufacturing, I prefer Made in USA if possible.It is sometimes hard to find certain items made here, like wheels for example. Thanks.
I really wanted a set of Weld Rekon F58 beadlocks. No longer in production but they where $800 a wheel. Even now out of production they are still $500, and there are many available. I recently got lucky on a set of Spicer front hubs. Price was considerable below everyone else so I assumed they where made in China or some overseas factory. Nope built here, win one for the home team.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Dana has 2 brands of gearing, Dana Spicer and Dana SVL. Dana SVL is the aftermarket budget brand.

For Dana Spicer gears, go to the Dana Spicer web site showing the list of gearing for the JK. Click on the gear set you are interested in and it will show you the Country of Origin.:

For Dana SVL gears, go to the Dana Aftermarket web site for gearing, click on the gear set and it will tell you Country of Origin:

The few sets I looked at show Country of Origin as United States for Dana Spicer and India for Dana SVL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the help. I do my best to research before I buy. I only want to do this once.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@zimm I came across US gear’s website. Very impressive manufacturing process. I also was unable to find Jeep D44. I could give them a call and find out for sure.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Just got my 4.56's. The Dana Spicer was $175 extra so I went with it. They are silent. I spoke with the US Gear guy at a Off Road show and he said they don't make anything for the Jeep D44.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Spicer it is. I just need make sure I am getting the premium gears and not the budget ones.
Don't be afraid to specify the exact gears you want used by part number. When Northridge built my PR44, the Spicer gear set part number was in their quote and on the final invoice / build sheet. Like YnotAJeep stated, the increased cost over aftermarket gears was less than $200. When I first asked the guys at Northridge about using the Spicer gears they thought the price was going to be crazy high, but we were all pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Came up with these part #’s Front 2019749
Rear 2018747. These are 4:88’s for a ‘17 Rubicon Recon. Are these the correct ?

·
Premium Member
7,656 Posts
Think that is right

1 - 20 of 39 Posts