Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Very close and a direction I almost went.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Dana/Spicer's are the best gears produced, bar none.
Better metallurgy, better hardening, and much better tolerances.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
google is your friend, or not

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Dana/Spicer's are the best gears produced, bar none.
Better metallurgy, better hardening, and much better tolerances.
I keep hearing this repeated but have yet to see any evidence produced by anyone. It could just be a internet story that is in constant circulation. Sounds like a good episode for MythBusters. I had a regearing done at a local diff shop that’s been around since the 70s and that has a reputation for working on hot rods and muscle cars. They use Sierra Gears.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
And I don't think you will find any thing Bob. Made in the USA was the big thing but that is not always true and of course Dana-Spicer name carries a big price tag. IMO any of the big name gear guys sell quality parts, the most important aspect is setting up the gears for quite operation. They will all make noise if not done correctly.

If you really want to improve a gear set send it out cyro, shot, peenning, micro polishing and finally coating.

·
Registered
456 Posts
And I don't think you will find any thing Bob. Made in the USA was the big thing but that is not always true and of course Dana-Spicer name carries a big price tag. IMO any of the big name gear guys sell quality parts, the most important aspect is setting up the gears for quite operation. They will all make noise if not done correctly.

If you really want to improve a gear set send it out cyro, shot, peenning, micro polishing and finally coating.
totally out of my depth on this subject, and many others, but following your post I googled cryo, shot peening, etc. as it was totally new to me and found that all really fascinating. Crown race gears has a whole write up on the process I found informative, obviously tilted to advertise their product, but still pretty interesting. Always learn stuff here! I just regeared myself but am late to this convo, didn’t even think to research it and went with the Yukon gears the shop suggested. Wish I’d done so, I really try to go American when I can. Darn it.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Yukon gears could be made in the US, China, Korea and India. Have not heard any coming out of Italy yet. Yukon does not manufacture anything that I am aware of. They are design team that is very good. Once a design is settle upon they partner with gear manufactures for the finished product and perform quality control on the items. Regardless of who builds the gears they are made per Yukon's specs. Hell, Dana-Spicer from what I understand has made gears for them over the years.

And consider this for $45 bucks you can get Yukon's "No Questions Asked" lifetime warranty, wish I would of known this at the time I did my gears. But they have been trouble free for 40K miles so might of just been a waste of money. As far as I can see Dana-Spicer does not offer a warranty except to the commercial markets.

·
Registered
755 Posts

This is exactly what my installer told me and they do thousands of installs.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts

yeah.. I'm not sure where people are arriving at the conclusion that quality has to do with the country of manufacture. I can understand wanting to support your Country and I sure do that as much as I can with Canadian made, but to conclude an item is better based solely on its Country of manufacture... well... as far as I can see it's a patently false assumption.

The quality has to do with the company and its internal quality control at a given price point. As an example most of what Apple sells is made in China but it happens to be one of the strongest companies in the world with Americans paying American prices for those phones. Many consider the iphone to be one of the best phones in the world (NOT ME!).... and it's made in some sweat plant in China (Foxconn) at a criminal employee wage of something like $2.11 an hour. Conversely, it would also be a mistake to conclude that quality control is better just because the company's roots are American (or Canadian for that matter).

·
Super Moderator
2,007 Posts
Came up with these part #’s Front 2019749
Rear 2018747. These are 4:88’s for a ‘17 Rubicon Recon. Are these the correct ?
Are you looking for the Mopar or Dana-Spicer part #’s ?

Here are Mopar’s part numbers for the 4.88 Dana-Spicer gears

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
.....Conversely, it would also be a mistake to conclude that quality control is better just because the company's roots are American (or Canadian for that matter)......
It's not that design or the quality control has it roots in America (or Canada) unless you're out to support them. It is that the team that created the design is also the the team that is in charge of quality control. So many times a company spec's a design, chooses a manufacturer based on a lot of variables include quality control, buys off the first article and and then parts are shipped to the end user. The design company does not hear about it again unless there is a problem. Most any manufacture can build a part perfect one time, but can they do it a million times (6 Sigma). By leaving final article Quality Control in the hands of the company that spec'd the part it insures that the manufacturing company does not take short cuts.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
The quality of Spicer gears doesn't have anything to do with where they are manufactured, it's the manufacturing process, and extremely strict quality control that makes the difference.
Spicer uses their own proprietary alloys, different heat treating, face hobbing, shot peening and finally lapping to ensure excellent quality in every gear set produced.
Must be some reason Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ford and Land Rover all use D/S parts. Surely it's not because of pricing.;)
Ever have a dealer tell you you need to break in the differential gears in your new pickup?
That's because of the extreme heat treating, and finishing processes.
I would not be afraid of Yukon or G2's, but that said, i would spend the extra $$$ for the Spicers.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Yep, I love it when a plan comes together. The 315's and the 4.56 combo puts me at about 2700 at 70. Now with the free spin hubs it seems to be a little smoother up front and steers easier. Everything up front that used to spin, doesn't. Now,, if I just had D60's and 37's,,,,,, LOL.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
@SecondTJ thanks for that info. Thanks to everyone else for the input. I was curious if spicer gears are made in the USA. I was told no. I agree made in USA doesn’t always mean better quality. I stated why I prefer parts made here. I have nothing against Parts made overseas as long as their on your Jeep and not mine.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
The quality of Spicer gears doesn't have anything to do with where they are manufactured, it's the manufacturing process, and extremely strict quality control that makes the difference.
Spicer uses their own proprietary alloys, different heat treating, face hobbing, shot peening and finally lapping to ensure excellent quality in every gear set produced.
Must be some reason Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Ford and Land Rover all use D/S parts. Surely it's not because of pricing.;)
Ever have a dealer tell you you need to break in the differential gears in your new pickup?
That's because of the extreme heat treating, and finishing processes.
I would not be afraid of Yukon or G2's, but that said, i would spend the extra $$$ for the Spicers.
Dana-Spicer is one of the premiere manufactures out there no doubt but they are they really doing anything that sets them apart? Everybody uses there own proprietary alloys. Heat treating is dependent on the type of alloy being used but all gears are heat treated. Most manufactures shot peen there gears, it is a common way that stress is relieved the metal. Face hobbing and lapping is used not because it is superior but because it is cheaper. All ring and pinions are lapped.

If you wanted the best ring and pinion out there you would go with Crown Racing gears. Unfortunately they don't make gears for our rigs, yet. Of course not sure anyone want to shell out $800 plus for a single ring and pinion. But it is a great read.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I know a lot of Jeepers use all kinds of gear brands. I can’t really remember reading about any problems with any.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.
The quality and alloy composition of gears produced for racing, do not make a better street gear. They tend to wear out quicker than an OEM style gear. 8620 gears are primarily used in oval track and street applications. The material and heat treating provide the best wear/service life, but doesn't handle shock loads as well. 9310 alloy and heat treat are better suited to absorb high impact shock loads as in drag racing, but tend to wear out quicker under every day street use.
My preference for street applications, is Spicer(USA), or Richmond Gear( now a subsidiary of Midwest Truck and Auto Parts, Inc. USA made), who also manufactures Ten Factory, Powertrax, and Motive Gear.
Strange, and Mark Williams were our go to guys when we were drag racing. Never had a rear gear failure if you followed there recommendations for change out.

All that said, I'm sure any of the Yukons, US Gear, Revolution ect. ect would work fine if properly setup in our anemic JK's. Some of the "cheaper" brands might just be a little noisy.

Have a great Memorial Day.
jd out.
Semper fi

21 - 40 of 60 Posts