Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my ball joints and possible U-joints. I am having the hardest time finding a local Spicer distributor. Doe anyone know if any of the Auto Part chains carry them or am I better off ordering online?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Few auto parts stores carry anything as good as Spicer where u-joints are concerned. You're more likely to find what you need at a driveshaft repair shop which is far more likely to carry Spicer. Or buy online using Google Shopping (Google's shopping site) by keying in the Spicer part number needed. Do you know what part numbers you need?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the part number for the ball joints from the ECGS link above = 706944X

Still looking for the U-joints. I figured might as well change those while I'm in there.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Few auto parts stores carry anything as good as Spicer where u-joints are concerned. You're more likely to find what you need at a driveshaft repair shop which is far more likely to carry Spicer. Or buy online using Google Shopping (Google's shopping site) by keying in the Spicer part number needed. Do you know what part numbers you need?
Jerry what joints do you recommend for the front shaft? I am about to order all three for a rebuild and I cant find the thread you posted in about them. It was a non grease able version of the 1310 that is triple sealed.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found Jerry's previous post on one of my old threads. I am leaning towards greasable joints though, at least on the drive shaft since it rains so much down here.

Stay with Spicer's sealed u-joints, they are stronger than u-joints with zerk fittings in the body. About the only time greasable u-joints make better sense is if the Jeep spends a lot of time in deep soupy mud. Otherwise their slightly weaker strength makes them a less desirable choice.

For the driveshaft, a very good exact-fit upgrade replacement u-joint is the Spicer 5-1310x. For the axle shafts, Spicer's 5-760x is perfect. Both of those are stronger and more durable than what the factory installed.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/u-joints-and-spray-lubricant-228254.html#post3515749

·
Knows a couple things...
49,416 Posts
Lots of rain/wet highways is no reason to go with weaker and higher maintenance greasable u-joints. :)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I prefer greasable.......

Denny's Driveline is where I order all of my u-joints from.
Back to this. Finally getting my stuff ordered. Denny's Driveline has the maintenance free joints. At least for jeeps.

Edit. And as far as grease, can I use Green Grease as I use elsewhere or do I need special grease for the u-joints?

Edit again. Found the spicer 1310 greasable but they only have the 760X as a Neapco not a spicer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts