Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
several times I've seen posts in here that suggest using "Spicer" u-joints.....especially when re-building CV joints. I purchased spicer joints the other day, only to find "made in China" all over them. What happened to "buy America?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
I'm well known for my 'buy American' stance, fortunately not all Spicer parts are made in China. The last Spicer parts I purchased were labeled as US made.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I just went through my rear axle last week. Timken bearings and seals, and Yukon gears. Every part was made in USA, except for one bearing race. Inner pinion bearing race, Timken, made in India. I guess I should be glad that was the only foreign part.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I believe so. Now you have me wondering. Sides and spiders. That one Indian beering race was what stuck in my mind.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
It was either Yukon or US Standard or some such. I chose Yukon because I've installed many Yukon R&P's without issue.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Although I too am pro buy American, there is a difference between Chinese products, and products being produced in China by American companies to those companies specifications. I still would rather see them made here.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,389 Posts
Although I too am pro buy American, there is a difference between Chinese products, and products being produced in China by American companies to those companies specifications.
The problem is that once the Americans approve the design and have confirmed the quality of the first batch is that it's common for the Chinese to reduce the quality in later batches to make more profit. It's damned tough to examine parts once they arrive here to know if they're still made from the same steel, stainless steel, aluminum, fabric, thread, etc. as was initially spec'd and approved.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
The problem is that once the Americans approve the design and have confirmed the quality of the first batch is that it's common for the Chinese to reduce the quality in later batches to make more profit. It's damned tough to examine parts once they arrive here to know if they're still made from the same steel, stainless steel, aluminum, fabric, thread, etc. as was initially spec'd and approved.
Good point, plus it sends jobs overseas when we could really use them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts