Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background - Jeep had slack in the ring and pinion so I took it in. Could see worn sections and something that look like blistering on the center on the spider gears. Dealer replaced ring and pinion, and carrier. I have LSD but that was supposedly ok. All warranty.

Fluid was 75/140 and slip additive. Mileage was about 70k, this was 3 years ago. Fluid gets checked after trips, and changed every 20-30k average..

Last week did a fluid change. Nothing seemed bad, just regular fluid change. Fluid came out normal dark and silvery. The plug had quite a bit of debris on it though, and some chunks too. No contamination (water/mud). Didn't feel like popping the cover so it got flushed out a bit and refilled until today, when it got in for full servicing. The past week I had no issues driving or anything, in fact, and until the fluid change it felt normal and I wouldn't have known anything was wrong.

It's been three years, about 80k. This time the ring and pinion look fine I think, but the spider gears are chunked out. We deal with metal and castings and it just looks like it's a defect in the cast - but I want some opinions.

They are replacing the carrier and reusing the ring and pinion and LSD this time.

Sorry for the sideways photo, I don't know why it did that.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,779 Posts
That seems like a fairly common issue, especially with the factory LSD. You can replace the spider gears, fairly cheap. Or you can upgrade to a TrueTrac style mechanical LSD. That eliminates the spider gears to begin with. No more problem.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That seems like a fairly common issue, especially with the factory LSD. You can replace the spider gears, fairly cheap. Or you can upgrade to a TrueTrac style mechanical LSD. That eliminates the spider gears to begin with. No more problem.

THIS ^. I swear there is a thread a week about chipped spider gears and 99% of those threads involve the Trashlock. Unfortunately it just seems to be par for the course. A Truetrac would be a worthwhile upgrade if you like having an LSD vs a full locker. Fixing the Traclock is like polishing a turd...

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
I'm at ~140,000 miles and mine have done that twice. I serviced the diffs this past Saturday and was actually surprised that no chunks came out. I use a strainer just to be sure.
If MaxCare ever stops covering it I'll spring for a TruTrac or PowerTrax Grip Pro.

Reactions: Cummins_Powered
1 - 4 of 4 Posts