Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 JKU w/ 100k Kilometers on the clock.

Dana 44 rear with Factory LSD.

When I brought it home, I tested out the LSD diff by jacking up the jeep, and spinning one rear tire. The other on stayed still. So I assumed that the build sheet was incorrect, and the jeep did not actually have a factory LSD.

15,000 km later, I hear noise. Bad noise.

Drop the gear oil...

https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191985&stc=1&d=1577226031
https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191987&stc=1&d=1577226031

So merry Fing christmas I wasnt expecting.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191989&stc=1&d=1577226176

I think I'll be going back to Toyota sooner than expected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,337 Posts
2013 JKU w/ 100k Kilometers on the clock.

Dana 44 rear with Factory LSD.

When I brought it home, I tested out the LSD diff by jacking up the jeep, and spinning one rear tire. The other on stayed still. So I assumed that the build sheet was incorrect, and the jeep did not actually have a factory LSD.

15,000 km later, I hear noise. Bad noise.

Drop the gear oil...

https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191985&stc=1&d=1577226031
https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191987&stc=1&d=1577226031

So merry Fing christmas I wasnt expecting.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4191989&stc=1&d=1577226176

I think I'll be going back to Toyota sooner than expected.
I had the same issue with factory LSD in my 2014. Less than 20,000. No noise but found when I was going to regear. Still under warranty at the time. I opted to upgrade on my dime as so many folks have had issues with spider gears in the OEM LSDs. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Mine went bad, I think, and killed my Yukon 4.56 gears at approx 40,000 miles. I think the installers missed it when replacing the ring and pinion gears for me as I found more chunks a few thousand later and it was for sure the spiders. Luckily it did not destroy the ring and pinion. Replaced with a Tru-Trac. I should have done the Tru-Trac with original ring and pinion update.
I’ve read a lot of spider gear destruction posts.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I swapped out the Trac-lok for a Truetrac last weekend @21k miles. Oil was very black, spiders were warn but the Trac-lok was still functional. Read so many stories about failure, I changed it to be safe trouble later.

Does your '13 have an automatic or manual? I really wanted a Detroit locker, but apparently it will cause the automatic transmission to go to a limp mode.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the same issue with factory LSD in my 2014. Less than 20,000. No noise but found when I was going to regear. Still under warranty at the time. I opted to upgrade on my dime as so many folks have had issues with spider gears in the OEM LSDs. Merry Christmas!
Merry christmas. Ill be honest, I was a little salty when I wrote that post. I don't beat on my rig, just light off roading.

Spider gears on my 2015 open diff. I opted for a regear.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Dang, I thought it was just the LSD diffs that had the issues.

Mine went bad, I think, and killed my Yukon 4.56 gears at approx 40,000 miles. I think the installers missed it when replacing the ring and pinion gears for me as I found more chunks a few thousand later and it was for sure the spiders. Luckily it did not destroy the ring and pinion. Replaced with a Tru-Trac. I should have done the Tru-Trac with original ring and pinion update.
I’ve read a lot of spider gear destruction posts.
I bought my JK with 85XXX km's on it. When I brought it home, I tested to see if it indeed had LSD by jacking it up and spinning one tire. The other one stayed still. I thought the window sticker was incorrect. Turns out, the clutches were already pooched and taking out my spiders, silently :rip:

I swapped out the Trac-lok for a Truetrac last weekend @21k miles. Oil was very black, spiders were warn but the Trac-lok was still functional. Read so many stories about failure, I changed it to be safe trouble later.

Does your '13 have an automatic or manual? I really wanted a Detroit locker, but apparently it will cause the automatic transmission to go to a limp mode.
My '13 is manual, and my wife sometimes drives the jeep, we live in northern climate (icy roads in winter)
So, I didn't want a lunchbox or detroit in it. I believe this is an aggressive LSD diff, but still slips for street use.

As soon as I went online checking for issues... yep, I found a lot of spider gear problems sadly.

My friend has a '12 2 Door, and beats his like it owes him money. Not a problem in the world with his. Some of us must have had bad luck with the heat treating/LSD clutches breaking apart

Cheers

·
Registered
352 Posts

My '13 is manual, and my wife sometimes drives the jeep, we live in northern climate (icy roads in winter)
So, I didn't want a lunchbox or detroit in it. I believe this is an aggressive LSD diff, but still slips for street use.
The box picture was trickery. The side facing the camera said "grizzly locker" but the other side had a part number for a Dura Grip.
Didn't see the Dura Grip part number till just now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[/QUOTE]

The box picture was trickery. The side facing the camera said "grizzly locker" but the other side had a part number for a Dura Grip.
Didn't see the Dura Grip part number till just now.[/QUOTE]

Ah yes, I was wondering why the box has that on there. Just an advertisement or they use the box for both centres, then chuck a corresponding part number on it.

I hope this is the last of the larger breakages. I can handle an axle shaft... but this was pricy. It’s not like I wheel in Moab 😪

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
$500 will get you a TrueTrac mechanical LSD. Around $400 can get you a PowerTrax GripPro mechanical LSD. Either one won't have spider gears in it that could fail.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
$500 will get you a TrueTrac mechanical LSD. Around $400 can get you a PowerTrax GripPro mechanical LSD. Either one won't have spider gears in it that could fail.
I bought the Yukon duragrip $580 CAD.
Also doing the carrier bearings, as removing them from the stock carrier would be a pain, and there was metal floating around anyways. All in, with shipping was $800

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Also doing the carrier bearings, as removing them from the stock carrier would be a pain, and there was metal floating around anyways. All in, with shipping was $800
I hope that works out for you. The DuraGrip is a clutch style LSD as I understand it, much like the factory LSD. It probably uses spider gears.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope that works out for you. The DuraGrip is a clutch style LSD as I understand it, much like the factory LSD. It probably uses spider gears.
Thanks. Yes, it has spiders, with spring preloads. I do wish I had the extra cash to do an e locker instead, but this will have to do. Luckily this centre is rebuildable, as opposed to the factory unit, which you cannot get parts for (as I’m told from 2 dealerships and a rear end shop)

I just took the rear end and axle shafts apart this evening. Cleaned everything up, and will install the new centre in the morning.

Fingers crossed!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts