Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a set for the front and back and installed them. My question and possible concern is I've notice a slight negative camber angle. I don't remember seeing it when it was stock, I also wasn't looking that hard. Is there suppose to be a slight negative camber? This is on a 2014 jeep rubicon x. Pictures didn't real show it.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Ok so I bought a set for the front and back and installed them. My question and possible concern is I've notice a slight negative camber angle. I don't remember seeing it when it was stock, I also wasn't looking that hard. Is there suppose to be a slight negative camber? This is on a 2014 jeep rubicon x. Pictures didn't real show it.
I'd guess not...I can't see how spacers would cause any change to camber since they are a consistent thickness. If anything, a tolerance issue would cause shimmying, I'd think.

Any more pictures? I've got a Granite JKR and I'm thinking of adding spacers to widen the stance until I can afford new wheels and tires.

·
Retired Moderator
100,513 Posts
Camber should be -0.6 to 0.1

Wheel spacers will not change it, but they will wear out your ball joints sooner!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I've heard that before, but how are spacers any different than wheels with a different BS? I'm not arguing, I honestly am curious...
Other than the additional attachment points with respect to wheel spacers, there is no difference..

To be more specific, there is no ball joint load difference (which is pretty insignificant either way)..

·
Registered
536 Posts
Both are correct. Yes more stress. Yes lower back spaced wheels do too. Spacers put the same stress on the ball joints and wheel bearings the wheels of equal total back spacing would. Even lower bs wheels put more stress than the OEM wheel and tire package. While it may shorten the life some, it doesn't do it to the extent of having to replace them with every oil change. Many people here run spacers or wheels with less bs and still get plenty of mileage out of the bearings and joints.

·
Retired Moderator
100,513 Posts
I've heard that before, but how are spacers any different than wheels with a different BS? I'm not arguing, I honestly am curious...
There really is no difference. Either, or moves the tire/wheel centerline out further from the hub, and adds additional stress.

Your factory wheels have a Backspacing of 6.25, but the Mopar wheels, that are offered for larger tires, at after market, have a BS of 4.6. So obviously Chrysler/Jeep is not that concerned about the issue.

As for the factory installed Ball Joints, well they don't have any grease fittings, and just aren't that durable to start with. So adding additional stress, just exhilarates the wear factor, particularly with larger tires that maybe out of balance, (these are all negatives)!

There are many that will go with spacers, or the popular 4.5 BS wheel, and will get 30 to 40 thousand miles out of the joints. So enjoy your spacers, just remember to keep them torqued. Example: 90 lbs. with Loctite the first time, and then check them with 80 lbs. at every tire rotation...........:thumb:

As my friend, Kjeeper10 once said, if you want to play, then you have to pay...:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
There really is no difference. Either, or moves the tire/wheel centerline out further from the hub, and adds additional stress. Your factory wheels have a Backspacing of 6.25, but the Mopar wheels, that are offered for larger tires, at after market, have a BS of 4.6. So obviously Chrysler/Jeep is not that concerned about the issue. As for the factory installed Ball Joints, well they don't have any grease fittings, and just aren't that durable to start with. So adding additional stress, just exhilarates the wear factor, particularly with larger tires that maybe out of balance, (these are all negatives)! There are many that will go with spacers, or the popular 4.5 BS wheel, and will get 30 to 40 thousand miles out of the joints. So enjoy your spacers, just remember to keep them torqued. Example: 90 lbs. with Loctite the first time, and then check them with 80 lbs. at every tire rotation...........:thumb: As my friend, Kjeeper10 once said, if you want to play, then you have to pay...:D
Thanks for the replies, everyone. That's what I thought; I've just heard the "spacers are bad, buy new wheels" from many people on many forums over the years, but no one ever mentioned that changing the BS on wheels would have the same effect. The implied point was that different wheels were better than spacers; I couldn't understand why if - as you say - everything is torqued up properly. Either way, pushing your wheels out will affect wear parts differently than factory. Heck, changing anything from OEM could have an effect (some ways better, some ways worse).

We're Jeep owners, we can't leave anything alone! That's part of the fun. :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
There really is no difference. Either, or moves the tire/wheel centerline out further from the hub, and adds additional stress.

Your factory wheels have a Backspacing of 6.25, but the Mopar wheels, that are offered for larger tires, at after market, have a BS of 4.6. So obviously Chrysler/Jeep is not that concerned about the issue.

As for the factory installed Ball Joints, well they don't have any grease fittings, and just aren't that durable to start with. So adding additional stress, just exhilarates the wear factor, particularly with larger tires that maybe out of balance, (these are all negatives)!

There are many that will go with spacers, or the popular 4.5 BS wheel, and will get 30 to 40 thousand miles out of the joints. So enjoy your spacers, just remember to keep them torqued. Example: 90 lbs. with Loctite the first time, and then check them with 80 lbs. at every tire rotation...........:thumb:

As my friend, Kjeeper10 once said, if you want to play, then you have to pay...:D
4.6" or is it 5.2"? :)

I just pulled my Spidertrax spacers off today that have been on for the last 10,000 miles and I would have no doubt that they would have remained tight for the life of the vehicle. I did use ample amount of red loc-tite when I installed them. The lug nuts did not require heat to remove but were nice and tight coming off which is how they should be. The strange thing is that both fronts were really seized on the hubs and did not want to come off without a gear puller. The rears were no problem and slipped off the hub as soon as the nuts were loosened up. Fronts were a bear cat to get off and doubt I would have gotten them without a puller, no corrosion on the spacer or the hub so not sure what was up. I know if install them again I will use anti-sieze on the hub/spacer surface. .

·
Registered
533 Posts
The angel of the fenders plays tricks on your eyes and makes it look like it's out of alignment. Just keep them tight and watch the tires for any signs of abnormal wear.

·
Retired Moderator
100,513 Posts
4.6" or is it 5.2"? :)

I just pulled my Spidertrax spacers off today that have been on for the last 10,000 miles and I would have no doubt that they would have remained tight for the life of the vehicle. I did use ample amount of red loc-tite when I installed them. The lug nuts did not require heat to remove but were nice and tight coming off which is how they should be. The strange thing is that both fronts were really seized on the hubs and did not want to come off without a gear puller. The rears were no problem and slipped off the hub as soon as the nuts were loosened up. Fronts were a bear cat to get off and doubt I would have gotten them without a puller, no corrosion on the spacer or the hub so not sure what was up. I know if install them again I will use anti-sieze on the hub/spacer surface. .
My 2013 MOPAR AUTHENTIC JEEP ACCESSORIES CATLOG, says 4.6", applicable to all of their wheels for wider tires, as they so state.....:thumb:

I just double checked it..:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts