Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to put the soft top on my JKU and I got to thinking about treating myself to a spider shade that isn't black. I do like the idea of red, blue or even a pale colour but am concerned that they will be distracting. I use the spider web partly because the light from above bothers my eyes, I went classic black but am now wondering whether to turn it up a notch. I would love to hear from anyone out there with non-black shades before I plonk down my $100 or so.
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm about to put the soft top on my JKU and I got to thinking about treating myself to a spider shade that isn't black. I do like the idea of red, blue or even a pale colour but am concerned that they will be distracting. I use the spider web partly because the light from above bothers my eyes, I went classic black but am now wondering whether to turn it up a notch. I would love to hear from anyone out there with non-black shades before I plonk down my $100 or so. Many thanks in advance
I have a red one for my red jeep, looks awesome and I don't regret it.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Hey Bobby! :)

I have their blue shade on my jeep. I love it. I don't notice that it is distracting at all. I leave it on full time, under my soft top, so I may just be oblivious to it by now, but haven't noticed any issue.

How's your mic issues? Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went with white. My JKU being white, it creates a nice color balance, and airier feeling. A word of advice, unfold it, lay it on your dining table and steam iron it on medium setting with a sheet between the iron and shade, otherwise the wrinkles won't go away. Also, get a 1.5" or 2" Home Depot foam pipe insulation, cut it to about 24" length and slice it to half. Place it between the shade and sound bar, sliced flat side down on the bar. It will prevent the shade fluttering against the sound bar as you drive.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
For ours, just parking it outside in the sun for several hours once installed pulled out all the wrinkles. You can also put some self stick Velcro on the grommets on the SpiderWebShade and that will stop the clicking against the sound bar. Some guys have gone as far as to buy a couple bolts and nuts to attach the SWS to the sound bar, which also works. :)

·
Premium Member
1,767 Posts
I went with white. My JKU being white, it creates a nice color balance, and airier feeling. A word of advice, unfold it, lay it on your dining table and steam iron it on medium setting with a sheet between the iron and shade, otherwise the wrinkles won't go away. Also, get a 1.5" or 2" Home Depot foam pipe insulation, cut it to about 24" length and slice it to half. Place it between the shade and sound bar, sliced flat side down on the bar. It will prevent the shade fluttering against the sound bar as you drive.
X2

My shade flapped no matter how I adjusted the spider balls and the pipe insulation was a cheap & easy fix.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got Red to match accent color. Ordered it a month ago from Quadratec and put it on this weekend. I guess they listened to their customers, it came with velcro installed on the Sound Bar / Freedom Top grommets.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I've had the Tan SWS and love it. Blocks just enough light so I don't have to squint or even use sunglasses. Also cuts down on the wind just the right amount. One of the best mods I've put on my Jeep so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,177 Posts
I have orange with Granite Crystal.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture how it looks.
I have a white unlimited and am about to pull the trigger on a sun shade. Would prefer a white. But not many pics on their website with white.
Thanks Dean

·
Registered
894 Posts
I installed an orange one on my Dozer. It is not the same orange and probably closer to Crush. I havent found anything that matches Dozer perfectly. The only thing I noticed is it gives a little brighter reflection with just the sunrider top open. With the top completely down, no real difference. I like the contrast.

It is the same color to a Home Depot orange tarp. That is the best I can describe it. I think a yellow one would match better..

·
Premium Member
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Do the colored ones throw any weird light in the cabin? I had pretty much just planned on black, but now you've got me thinking I might want to go with red or something. I just dont want everything to be cast as red due to the SWS...

·
Registered
154 Posts
Would you mind posting a picture how it looks. I have a white unlimited and am about to pull the trigger on a sun shade. Would prefer a white. But not many pics on their website with white. Thanks Dean
Hey Dean, I don't have one, but Y-Guy has posted above of his beige JKU and shade. It's almost exactly how white/white looks. Also the white shade will brighten the cabin versus a particular color cast.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do the colored ones throw any weird light in the cabin? I had pretty much just planned on black, but now you've got me thinking I might want to go with red or something. I just dont want everything to be cast as red due to the SWS...
I didn't even think about that. Might be another reason to look at getting the black...

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have a grey SWS with Tank colored Jeep.
Do you have a picture you can share? I'm thinking about getting a black one, but would like to see grey on a tank too.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Dean, I don't have one, but Y-Guy has posted above of his beige JKU and shade. It's almost exactly how white/white looks. Also the white shade will brighten the cabin versus a particular color cast.
Good point on the brightening aspect. Will have to rethink the color option.
Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts