Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the spiderweb shade but I cannot stop it from flapping. any time over 35MPH it flaps on the sport bar. Spiderweb shade has been great to deal with. They are responsinve and helpful but it apeears they cannot resolve this.

Any one have the same isuse? did you solve it? Or live with it?

anyone using another shade that does not flap and they would reccommend?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Model Jeep do you have?
Do you have the full or the half?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I stole from someone else, but I got some bolts with washers and rubber washers to protect the shade and wing nuts, and ran it through the hard top holes to pin it down. I have very minimal flapping now, could probably eliminate even that if I played with it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I stole from someone else, but I got some bolts with washers and rubber washers to protect the shade and wing nuts, and ran it through the hard top holes to pin it down. I have very minimal flapping now, could probably eliminate even that if I played with it.
This works great to remove the flapping.:thumb:

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you have the Jkini (1/2) what I did was put velcro on the sports bar. Spiderweb folks didn't have any answer but this works fine.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Mine was flapping my my '12, haven't installed it yet on my '13 (yes, a sin).

I'm thinking to either:
- loop a bungie chord or spiderballs through the holes
- lay some Velcro strips on the sound bar and leverage the grommet Velcro to tack it down

Hadn't considered "faux freedom bolts" - not a bad idea.

Peace!

·
Registered
321 Posts
My shade has velcro patches at the grommets so I just added some Command easy remove velcro strips to the soundbar and that stops the flapping for me. Easier than the bolts part. At least to me.

And no, that is not my hand.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My shade has velcro patches at the grommets so I just added some Command easy remove velcro strips to the soundbar and that stops the flapping for me. Easier than the bolts part. At least to me.

And no, that is not my hand.
I have a friend does hand modeling. Every time I see her, I ask if she has any new hand work lined up :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for all of the info guys. Tried the spider balls they help but still get flapping. have to decide whether I can live with it.

anyone have any other shades they like better?

·
Registered
894 Posts
I run a DirtyDog shade. No flapping. It is designed with Velcro at the back end and comes with velcro to lay down on the sound bar. That velcro didn't last too long, but industrial sticky velcro (and more surface area) fixed that easily.

I do like how the stretchy attachments fit. Keeps the shade nice and taught.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have one on my 2 door JK that comes all the way back on the top(not down the back). I have not noticed any flapping, it fits pretty tight.
My problem is the dam seat belt slapping against the side of the seat! Any ideas on fixing that?:confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
I slapped a couple of black felt feet on the top of the soundbar to quiet the flapping and buzzing of the SWS. The part that bothered me most was the vibration from bass in the soundbar. Felt worked like a charm.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have one on my 2 door JK that comes all the way back on the top(not down the back). I have not noticed any flapping, it fits pretty tight.
My problem is the dam seat belt slapping against the side of the seat! Any ideas on fixing that?:confused:
Get one of those seat belt shoulder cushions, wrap around the part that goes down parallel with the b pillar.

Look at that, they even have jeep ones!!

Anyways, you get the idea.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Mine was flapping my my '12, haven't installed it yet on my '13 (yes, a sin).

I'm thinking to either:
- loop a bungie chord or spiderballs through the holes
- lay some Velcro strips on the sound bar and leverage the grommet Velcro to tack it down

Hadn't considered "faux freedom bolts" - not a bad idea.

Peace!
faux freedom bolts for the win. I used an $8 toilet installation kit from Ace Hardware - problem solved and looks fine too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I considered doing this same thing as mine does flap too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts