Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about a Spiderweb shade for my Willys, anybody think they are good or bad. Don't get how you can leave it on when putting the freedom tops back on ?
Someone please school this new jeep owner !:worthy:

·
Registered
429 Posts
I love mine. Makes top down driving on those cloudless, super sunny , oppressively hot summer days enjoyable. And yes, if you take the time to align the grommets you do not have to take it off for hard or soft top. However, it's less than 5 minutes to remove and reinstall when you know what you're doing. Some days with, some days without. Whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I have the Alien Shade which is exactly like the Spider Web Shade and they are great. You will find that lots of people Here have the Spiderweb and they love it. As far as putting the Freedom panels on with the shade on, you cannot do it because the shade would block the latches to the freedom panels. The shade is very easy and quick to install.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
The Spiderweb shade will work with the freedom tops. You have to reach "over" the shade to reach the latches. You also have to take off the center spider ball for center latch. I keep mine on all the time and only have the hard top.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I actually have my spiderweb shade with my Freedom top on. You just remove the so called spider balls from the sides and the three in the front. Keep the front corner ones on. And you'll have access to the latches. It has a small sag to it. But not enough for me to care. So when I do take the top off I just re attach the spider balls and wala took a max of 3 minutes tops.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
I leave my shade on all the time. Freedom top or not. Really easy to put the freedom top panels on with the shade on as well. Too hot in Cali to go topless without a shade.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife made one for her 2007 and one for my 2011. We bought some sun shade material and grommets from Lowe's. She sewed a 2" hem and then laid out where she wanted the grommets to go. We love them and it was about one third the cost.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the Spiderweb JKINI. With it on you can latch everything for the freedom panels however if you got the one that covers the back passengers as well it would probably still be possible to latch everything but just a little more difficult. The JKINI has a cut out on the back that makes it easy.

Buy it, you will not regret the purchase.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I just installed one today but haven't really been able to take advantage of it. One thing I did notice is that it flaps a bit; hoping I can adjust it out.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
The freedom tops are a bit of a PITA to get off, but it's not too big of a deal. It installs so quickly, that I just install it after removing the hard top.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just installed one today but haven't really been able to take advantage of it. One thing I did notice is that it flaps a bit; hoping I can adjust it out.

Mine never flaps. I have read a lot of people saying that theirs flaps over the roll bars, but mine has never done that.

·
Registered
134 Posts
While I love my spider shade I find it unworkable with the hard top on. It lines up fine and all but the latches just do not work with it on, and I do not want to take the cords off due to the sagging. Oddly it works fine with the soft top, which is the only time I really need the shade so it's all good.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
It works nicely but getting it on without pulling the rear top section of the hard top was a huge pain, I was so frustrated I nearly tossed it in the dumpster. It is in no way compatible with the hard top as you need to take out so many of the bungees to reinstall the Freedom Panels. Not sure what I'll do now.

May not be an issue as work has me so busy I've had no time to actually enjoy the Jeep as of late. By the time my schedule gets normal it'll probably be cold again. lol

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
It works nicely but getting it on without pulling the rear top section of the hard top was a huge pain, I was so frustrated I nearly tossed it in the dumpster. It is in no way compatible with the hard top as you need to take out so many of the bungees to reinstall the Freedom Panels. Not sure what I'll do now.

May not be an issue as work has me so busy I've had no time to actually enjoy the Jeep as of late. By the time my schedule gets normal it'll probably be cold again. lol
For what it's worth, we only had to take the two short spider balls off the footman's loops where the panels latch to the header on Mike's hard top. Harder to reach the latches, yes. Having to take more spider balls off, no.

Maybe you just didn't have them aligned right?

·
Commercial Member
295 Posts
I love my Spiderweb Shade. It has paid for itself with this 90 degree weather we have been having.

Attachments

·
Registered
676 Posts
They're nice, the biggest downside is if you get caught in a rainstorm with them on. It makes it 20x worse. Instead of just having rain drops come down, they explode on it and fill the entire area with a fine mist like spraying a hose on a screen door.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts