Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question to any members who have the TRAILMESH spidershade...does this shade protect against ANY rainfall whatsoever??
I understand that it is only a mesh material, but I would like to run topless as much as possible and need a temp rain stopper for pop up showers until I can get the soft top back up...
I have read numerous posts about this shade and love the idea that it can stay on with or without the top on. If it can buy me 5-10 minutes during a spot shower, in all in!!

Any comments welcome

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I'd say no. Sure it might stop rain from falling directly inside, but the water will quickly run off the edge of the spidershade and stream into the cabin that way.

You should look into one of the several quick emergency tops that waterproof the inside within minutes. Someone posted a review recently of an emergency top that can even stay on while driving.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've read numerous posts about "summer topping", was going with the pavement ends nighttime top, but really wanted to make the spider shade work :(
What you say about the run off makes a lot of sense tho, didn't even think of that

Love this forum

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Yeah, I'm in the same position as you. I have the spydershade jkini over my front seats but I still have to pay attention to the weather forecasts because I don't carry the freedom top pieces with me.

If it weren't for the cool looks of the hard top, I would've just gotten a soft top for this reason.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was originally looking at something to put on quickly and also cover for nights...hence the pavement ends top...but that damn spider shade looks so good

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Get the spider, keep the pavement ends in the trunk for when it rains. The spider can stay on with other things put on top of it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Get the spider, keep the pavement ends in the trunk for when it rains. The spider can stay on with other things put on top of it.
This is exactly what I do. I love the spiderweb shade! In fact I just ordered the cargo shade for when the kids are riding in the back. It came in today, but try forgot to include the bungee cords. So, I didn't get a chance to try it out.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Just tried a light to moderate rainfall with thye SpyderShade. While driving, it works. Once stopped, or slow, does not provide any protection. HTH.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Shared the same dilemma but in the end just kept a close eye on Craigslist for a gently used soft top. Almost pulled the trigger on Quadratec's emergency top but there are no windows.

Picked up a one year old, hardly used soft to with hardware for $250 on CL. Just have to be diligent about checking often.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I had mine on during a small shower and it did ok. Kept my head dry, but that's pretty much it.

The spider shade.....is a shade. That's about it, but a damn good one. But that's what it was designed to be.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No, the spiderwebshade will not keep you dry... at all. It is not intended to. It will also flap in the wind at highway speeds rather robustly. At least my JK-2D and Jkini do. At first I thought that it is unfair to ask the JK-2D not to flap since it is not supported in the back, and agreed to exchange it for a Jkini. The Jkini also flaps. It overlaps the sounbar and at highway speeds it inevitably flaps a bit, and due to the overlapping design it ends up banging against the soundbar rather annoyingly. Lovely idea, but less than robust implementation. If I were to start all over I would spend the extra $$ on a DD. In the mean time I will try putting some plastic spacers between the Jkini and the sound bar (thread the spiderballs through them) to give the shade 1/2" separation from the soundbar. This is all it will take to keep it from flapping. I think that the JK-2D design if fundamentally not sound at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
No, the spiderwebshade will not keep you dry... at all. It is not intended to. It will also flap in the wind at highway speeds rather robustly. At least my JK-2D and Jkini do. At first I thought that it is unfair to ask the JK-2D not to flap since it is not supported in the back, and agreed to exchange it for a Jkini. The Jkini also flaps. It overlaps the sounbar and at highway speeds it inevitably flaps a bit, and due to the overlapping design it ends up banging against the soundbar rather annoyingly. Lovely idea, but less than robust implementation. If I were to start all over I would spend the extra $$ on a DD. In the mean time I will try putting some plastic spacers between the Jkini and the sound bar (thread the spiderballs through them) to give the shade 1/2" separation from the soundbar. This is all it will take to keep it from flapping. I think that the JK-2D design if fundamentally not sound at highway speeds.
Didn't you say in another thread you were going to get the DD shade or am I confusing you with someone else?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have the Ultra Mesh which is more open than the trail mesh. I had my first experience with it in the rain today when I ran through 3 quick summer showers on my way home.

While moving, i only felt a couple drops... But all bets are off when stopped. It might keep you dry during a light misting while stopped. But it just can't hold back the water when you're not moving. When moving the water hits the mesh and is blown off.

I have the regular size spiderweb shade for the JK (2 door). Mine doesn't "flap in the wind" at all. It's super tight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got caught in HEAVY rain one morning heading home from work and when moving it was no big deal, just kind of "mists" the rain. Anytime I had to stop though I got drenched!

·
Registered
191 Posts
It will also flap in the wind at highway speeds rather robustly. At least my JK-2D and Jkini do. At first I thought that it is unfair to ask the JK-2D not to flap since it is not supported in the back, and agreed to exchange it for a Jkini. The Jkini also flaps. It overlaps the sounbar and at highway speeds it inevitably flaps a bit, and due to the overlapping design it ends up banging against the soundbar rather annoyingly. Lovely idea, but less than robust implementation. If I were to start all over I would spend the extra $$ on a DD. In the mean time I will try putting some plastic spacers between the Jkini and the sound bar (thread the spiderballs through them) to give the shade 1/2" separation from the soundbar. This is all it will take to keep it from flapping. I think that the JK-2D design if fundamentally not sound at highway speeds.
On the JKini, if you twist the grommet straps that go over the sound bar once or twice before you run the bungees through the grommets it will tighten it up a bit. I found this stopped most of the flapping on mine.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Didn't you say in another thread you were going to get the DD shade or am I confusing you with someone else?
Since I bought the SWS JK-2D through a retailer I could not do a refund. SWS was kind enough to do an exchange of my "just installed" JK-2D for a previously installed Jkini. I appreciate the gesture and willingness to accommodate me, so rather than write off the JK-2D as a total loss I decided to see how the Jkini would do and ordered just the rear piece of the DD. The DD rear is arriving tomorrow. If it is as solid at highway speeds as you and others have indicated I will just order the DD front and write off the SWS purchase as a learning experience. I had listed the original JK-2D for $70 here and on CL but got no bites, so I am assuming little luck with the Jkini.

On the JKini, if you twist the grommet straps that go over the sound bar once or twice before you run the bungees through the grommets it will tighten it up a bit. I found this stopped most of the flapping on mine.
Good tip. May try that before the spacers. Thanks!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Love the SpiderWebShade, but, I've gotten soaked in a flash rain.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Had my second experience with rain today.... this time sitting in car rider line at my kids school.... I can no verify that the spiderweb shade DOES NOT stop water when sitting still.

Works pretty good when moving. Not so much when stopped.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quick question to any members who have the TRAILMESH spidershade...does this shade protect against ANY rainfall whatsoever??
I understand that it is only a mesh material, but I would like to run topless as much as possible and need a temp rain stopper for pop up showers until I can get the soft top back up...
I have read numerous posts about this shade and love the idea that it can stay on with or without the top on. If it can buy me 5-10 minutes during a spot shower, in all in!!

Any comments welcome
Would love to hear someone try RainX or better yet Flex-Seal spray. Im sure RainX would wear off & need to be reapplied periodically.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts