Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shade is coming in today and I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I leave it on ( which I would like to ) how to I latch my top down when the latches are covered by the shade. I had asked in another thread and was told you reach between the shade and top. I can see that working for maybe the outer latches but not the center. Any pointers?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My shade is coming in today and I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I leave it on ( which I would like to ) how to I latch my top down when the latches are covered by the shade. I had asked in another thread and was told you reach between the shade and top. I can see that working for maybe the outer latches but not the center. Any pointers?
I don't have one but a good friend of mind has one. I'm not too sure how the latch it but I know that their shade is always on. Even with the top on

·
Registered
271 Posts
The shade attaches using things called spiderballs. Basically a plastic ball attached to a bungee like chord. If you didn't know.

As far as leaving it on and putting up the soft top, you only unhook the front outer balls. Leave the center one attached. Then you do just slide the soft top latches between the shade and the windshield and attach normally. It's easy. You'll figure it out once you have the shade and see how it attaches.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
The shade attaches using things called spiderballs. Basically a plastic ball attached to a bungee like chord. If you didn't know.

As far as leaving it on and putting up the soft top, you only unhook the front outer balls. Leave the center one attached. Then you do just slide the soft top latches between the shade and the windshield and attach normally. It's easy. You'll figure it out once you have the shade and see how it attaches.
X2

It's really hard to visualize without having the shade installed, but you CAN latch the top through the shade. It's not the easiest thing to do, but it is definitely doable. :)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I should have mentioned I have the hard top so getting to the center latch is what I am trying to picture

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
The front header center latch is super easy, you just disconnect the spider balls, close the latch and then hook around the latches when done.

The middle latch is harder, but it can be turned THROUGH the fabric. You just kind of slide the material along with the latch as it moves. Like I said, it's really hard to imagine, but once it's installed, it will make more sense.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Just do not install the Spyder balls on the front you will be good to go. Then when you go top less you just install three Spyder balls in front.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The front header center latch is super easy, you just disconnect the spider balls, close the latch and then hook around the latches when done.

The middle latch is harder, but it can be turned THROUGH the fabric. You just kind of slide the material along with the latch as it moves. Like I said, it's really hard to imagine, but once it's installed, it will make more sense.
so the shade won't tear when doing this way. Is the shade annoying as in hanging down on your head. For myself not to worried I'm only around 5.7 but wife is 5.9 1/2 had to get that 1/2 in there because she always states it that way LOL

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know how people are leaving it on with the hardtop, I have had mine installed with just my freedom panels removed and the back two corner straps need to go over top the corners of the sound bar. I had to loosen my hardtop and lift up the entire hardtop to do this, not to mention the back center straps go through the holes where you put the screws to tighten down the rear of the freedom panels. I now only use my spiderweb shade when i remove the entire hardtop because trying to install it with the freedom top removed is a pain in the [email protected]%

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
so the shade won't tear when doing this way. Is the shade annoying as in hanging down on your head. For myself not to worried I'm only around 5.7 but wife is 5.9 1/2 had to get that 1/2 in there because she always states it that way LOL
We've had ours for almost a year now, installed full time. It has sagged a little, and it's bothered Mike, but he's 6'3". I'm 5'10" and even sagging, it's not even close to touching MY head.

I don't know how people are leaving it on with the hardtop, I have had mine installed with just my freedom panels removed and the back two corner straps need to go over top the corners of the sound bar. I had to loosen my hardtop and lift up the entire hardtop to do this, not to mention the back center straps go through the holes where you put the screws to tighten down the rear of the freedom panels. I now only use my spiderweb shade when i remove the entire hardtop because trying to install it with the freedom top removed is a pain in the [email protected]%
It can be a real :censored:, but it can be done. You have to make sure the spider balls are all turned toward the inside of the roll cage and that the grommets are lined up with the freedom panels. Just depends on if it's worth it to you or not...

·
Registered
167 Posts
How long does it take to put on/off a JKU?, once you are good at it. My plan was to leave on, but sounds like a PITA.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
We've only put it on once. Haven't taken it off yet (SWS). Original install probably took fifteen minutes, figuring out where the spider balls should go and getting it connected, since it was brand new and a tight fit.

Sorry I can't help more.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Spider shade just arrived. But no sun out to lay it out in as advised to get wrinkles out. Maybe will pop out soon

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Yeah, weather here is :censored: today, too. :(

For what it's worth, we didn't lay it out first when we installed it. We were too impatient (LOL). We just installed it and let it stretch on the jeep. Haven't noticed any side effects.

·
Registered
167 Posts
We've only put it on once. Haven't taken it off yet (SWS). Original install probably took fifteen minutes, figuring out where the spider balls should go and getting it connected, since it was brand new and a tight fit.

Sorry I can't help more.
Thanks Star

·
Registered
312 Posts
I installed my hardtop with it on once and just reached through the side to get the center latch. Like others said just remove the front 3 spider balls. You can either leave them off or reattach them after you put top on.

I didn't lay my shade out before installing either. Mine didn't come with any directions so didn't see that but no issues with mine.

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
There is a "nice looking" video on Spiderweb shade website that shows how to install it. I leave mine on with the hardtop. Like said previously, you can leave the front spider balls undone if you like. I don't have any sagging issues but my jeep is an '08 so it doesn't use the center loop to secure the hardtop. This allows me to keep my center spider ball attached and the front left/right are loose.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got it on and took a drive. Put the hard top on and the 2 front panels took 3 times as long to put on. Couldn't hardley get my arm between shade and top to turn latches closest to doors. The front corner kept pulling out from where I had it tucked behind the plastic toward the windshield. When I disconnected from the front foot mans loops the shade pulled backward by the rear straps causing the grommets not to line up with holes in the sound bar. What a pain in the rear. Next time my top comes off so will the shade. I will just install every time probably won't take as long. I will say I love it on while driving. Just not installing top over it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a hard top and leave mine on. I disconnect the 3 front balls by the hard top latches, and leave the 2 around the roll bars on. It doesn't hang loose of anything, and when I take the freedom panels off, I grab the three balls out of the glove box and throw them on. It is kind of a pain to latch the rear of the panels, but it is FAR easier then removing the damn thing every time I put them back on. I also didn't lay it out in the sun. I've only been able to remove the freedom panels twice sing putting the shade in, but the wrinkles have pretty much worked themselves out.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a hard top and leave mine on. I disconnect the 3 front balls by the hard top latches, and leave the 2 around the roll bars on. It doesn't hang loose of anything, and when I take the freedom panels off, I grab the three balls out of the glove box and throw them on. It is kind of a pain to latch the rear of the panels, but it is FAR easier then removing the damn thing every time I put them back on. I also didn't lay it out in the sun. I've only been able to remove the freedom panels twice sing putting the shade in, but the wrinkles have pretty much worked themselves out.
You don't have to remove all 3 of the front spider balls --- just the ones with the latch where the clasp connects. The middle one
can stay where it's at.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts