Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is still a work in progress, but with the nice weather finally here I thought maybe some other tall guys might find this useful.

First and foremost, the SpiderWebShade is a great product. However, as previously discussed, it does cause some issues for tall guys since it reduces the headroom clearance quite a bit.

I've come up with a pretty simple project that will:
1. give you all that headroom back
2. fit under the hardtop Freedom Panels
3. further tighten the SpiderWebShade to reduce vibration and noise

All I had to purchase was:
Two 48"x1"x1/8" pieces of Flat Bar Aluminum ($9.21+tax each at Home Depot)
(or one 96" piece if they have it in stock)

You can find it by the Angle Iron and various other pieces of metal.

These are the tools that I used. I don't have a workbench, so I used my patio table. If you have a workshop, you are going to have a much easier time than I did, and it was fairly easy even with my limited resources.

Clamp the Flat Bar Aluminum to a stable surface using the C-Clamps and cut it to a length of 36".

Using a metal file, file both the cut end AND the uncut (original) end. This is very important or it will tear your SpiderWebShade:

You want to file it down to a nice, round, smooth edge. So if you drag it across your skin at any angle, it shouldn't scratch you:

Let 5" of the bar hang over the edge of your working surface and clamp the rest of the bar down tightly. Then place a piece of 1" pipe over the bar, and flush with the edge of your working surface.

Holding the pipe so that it stays snugly against the working surface (thus creating a fulcrum point for all of you nerds), push down bending the Flat Bar to approximately a 70 degree angle. The exact angle isn't that important, but you want it somewhere greater than 60 and less than 90.

Now, flip the Flat Bar over and measure 2" inwards from the newly bent angle. Again, approximation is fine, but try not to go much more than 2" or your Freedom Tops may not fit. I'd shoot for 1.5" to 2".

Tighten the Flat Bar down again and slide your pipe as far down as you can. It won't reach all the way due to the previously bent angle, but as long as you slide it down as far as you can, the bulk of the leverage will be applied to the correct point. Using your thumb to help transfer the leverage, bend the Flat Bar again to roughly the same angle you used before:

You'll end up with an end that looks like this. I left my angles a little uneven so that it creates more of a "spring" effect when the hardtop is removed:

Repeat the exact same steps on the other end of the Flat Bar. Please pay attention to the orientation of the Flat Bar in the following pictures. The natural tendency for me was to bend it in the wrong direction on the first bend. For the first bend on this end, you want your bends from earlier to be on the top side:

After you've completed the first bend on the new end, you will need to flip the Flat Bar over. You'll have to bend it a little to get the C-Clamps tightened down, but don't worry, it will spring right back when you are done. I didn't get a good picture for this one, but in the picture below, you can see how it is lifted up on the right side and clamped down in the middle:

Once you've finished this end, you should end up with something that looks like this:

I applied a slight bend in the middle to give even a bit more headroom, but that is up to you.

If you don't care about symmetry, you can stop here and not create one for the passenger side. But that would drive me crazy, so I created another one using the exact same steps as above. You never know when you might get drunk (but never on the trails!!) and end up in the passenger seat of your own ride.

So here it is installed. I put the Freedom Top panels on and washed the Jeep prior to taking the photos and it doesn't leak (just in case you were wondering). I know it doesn't look like it would fit under the Freedom Tops, but that is the benefit of using Aluminum instead of Steel. It will bend down and fit when you install the tops. Right now, the bars are resting on top of the sound bar/roll bar in the back, and on the plastic material by the footman loops on each side in the front. I already have a little bracket created for the front that bolts behind the footman loop, but I just don't have decent pictures of it yet (crappy ones at the end). Once those are done, I will secure it front and back with Velcro:

Interior View

Exterior From Front

Exterior From Side

Prototype Footman Loop Bracket:

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Very cool! Thanks for the write up!

Pics weren't showing up, but it may be my iPad.

:thumb:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grrrr. I was afraid of that. I tried to trick the system into letting me use more than 5 pictures. I'll see what I can do.

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
Ah, thanks, Hillcrester!

·
Build Thread Queen
13,193 Posts
All pictures in the original post have been fixed. Yay! :)

Thanks again for the great write up!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sub'd. My girlfriend is ginger and now that it's topless season, she is hinting at wanting me to get some sort of shade... I was worried about the headroom, but you seem to have fixed the impending problem cheaply for me. Thanks!

·
Registered
546 Posts
Sub'd. My girlfriend is ginger and now that it's topless season, she is hinting at wanting me to get some sort of shade... I was worried about the headroom, but you seem to have fixed the impending problem cheaply for me. Thanks!
I am a "Ginger" also and an old one at that...i have to say a little bit of sunscreen and the spider shade I am able to be out all day in So Cal sunshine without looking like a burnt Ginger or feeling it..it really does cut down on what shines on your head...OP i really like your idea and may steal it from you... :)
Cameron

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Kudos for creativity and engineering! Great write up.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I'm 6' 2" and don't have a problem. In your photos it seems like you have a heck of a gap between shade and rollbar whereas mine is snugged up tight. You sure you got your little balls in the right place?!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm 6' 2" and don't have a problem. In your photos it seems like you have a heck of a gap between shade and rollbar whereas mine is snugged up tight. You sure you got your little balls in the right place?!
Yeah, my little balls are right where they should be :happyyes:

I'm 6'10", so assuming half of our height difference is in the torso, I'd need 4" more head clearance than you. I definitely needed more room, but opinions may vary.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yeah, my little balls are right where they should be :happyyes: I'm 6'10", so assuming half of our height difference is in the torso, I'd need 4" more head clearance than you. I definitely needed more room, but opinions may vary.
Holy cow your tall, i see why you needed the extra headroom.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Yeah, my little balls are right where they should be :happyyes:

I'm 6'10", so assuming half of our height difference is in the torso, I'd need 4" more head clearance than you. I definitely needed more room, but opinions may vary.
6'10"...never mind, lol! Yore a big fella.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
Nice fix, glad it works for you.
I think I will try something similar, but only running L/R instead of front to back.
I'm thinking of a length of flat steel with holes, sized slightly larger than the width of L roll bar to R roll bar so that it is sprung upwards in an arch...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice fix, glad it works for you.
I think I will try something similar, but only running L/R instead of front to back.
I'm thinking of a length of flat steel with holes, sized slightly larger than the width of L roll bar to R roll bar so that it is sprung upwards in an arch...
I considered that approach first, but you wouldn't be able to install the hard top freedom panels since they have that dip in the middle. Would work fine on a soft top though. That's basically how the Skid Row Top Prop™ works.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts