Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are people keeping the jkini on all the time with hard top and freedom panels installed? I've read you need to keep freedom panel screws out if you want to leave jkini installed all the time. What are others doing? Can a notch be put in that area to allow screws to be installed? If you move spider ball to another spot can the screws be put in? I just got my jkini and plan to install tomorrow. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I don't even use the freedom panels screws anymore😊

☞ Sent from here ☜

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just tried the way they say in the video to unhook the front 3.

It's not easy, you have to un hook one side front at least, and then when you want to put the side front back after putting the hard top, it will be having a bulge cos you can't stretch it out to the same place as without the hard top. I had to roll it back till the sound bar and tuck it inside on the sides but it looks clumsy.

False advertising !!!!!!! Next time I will take it out completely, it's easier that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I leave it in and don't use the panel screws either. I only disconnect the center spider ball. The outside ones stay attached. Yes it's a little awkward the first few times to connect the panels back but you get used to it. No biggie now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of mounting the two spider balls through freedom top screw holes, I loosened the sound bar and tucked them under the frame, pulled them tight in the freedom panel screw hole area, moved them to the side a little to not interfere with the screws, and tightened the sound bar back down. It pinches them in there good. You can leave it installed, and use freedom top screws.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I left my spiderwebshade on all winter with the hard top over it (I changed over to the soft top this weekend, still over the SWS). It's a little awkward to get to the freedom top latches but not too bad. I had the three spiderballs undone along the front.

The screws are only necessary if you want to run the freedom tops without the rear section of the hard top. With everything in place, the latches actually hold everything down.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I left my spiderwebshade on all winter with the hard top over it (I changed over to the soft top this weekend, still over the SWS). It's a little awkward to get to the freedom top latches but not too bad. I had the three spiderballs undone along the front. The screws are only necessary if you want to run the freedom tops without the rear section of the hard top. With everything in place, the latches actually hold everything down.
Are you sure the freedom top screws are not necessary with the hard top on? No leaking issues or anything else?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Been running mine screwless for a year after I installed my SWS Jkini and have had the freedom tops on and off probably a hundred times since then. Not one leak, rattle or squeak on the highway or in the high pressure car wash.

Are you sure the freedom top screws are not necessary with the hard top on? No leaking issues or anything else?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Been running mine screwless for a year after I installed my SWS Jkini and have had the freedom tops on and off probably a hundred times since then. Not one leak, rattle or squeak on the highway or in the high pressure car wash.

This is very good intel zerinS4. Thanks!! I installed mine yesterday and I ran into the freedom screws problem. Drove me crazy but now I'm gonna run screwless..!! :worthy:

·
Registered
546 Posts
i run my SS all the time permantly..when i have the freedom tops in i dont run with the top screws only because when I do the top leaks.i have no problem flipping the latches by pinching/pushing them over thru the shade..I do move the spidey balls to the side on each footmans loop..it is very nice to run with just the freedom tops off and the ss...i have the full shade that goes all the way to the back on a unlimited....it also helps insulate the hard top on hot days....love it
Cameron

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
This is very good intel zerinS4. Thanks!! I installed mine yesterday and I ran into the freedom screws problem. Drove me crazy but now I'm gonna run screwless..!! :worthy:
A word of warning about not running the freedom panel screws my local dealer mention to me they recently got a JK towed in it did not have the screws in the freedom panels and was loaded backwards on the tow truck guess what freedom panels lifted and ripped off so if you happen to have to have your Jeep towed make sure the screws are in just FYI.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My spiderweb shade has grommets for the screws. They don't align perfectly but I pushed on the shade to move the grommets in the direction I needed and got the screws in easily. I just keep the ball straps off that connect to the clamps over the visors leaving the two corners and middle one. Works great and no sagging.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Correct. And my jeep gets parked outside in the Utah mountains, so it gets PLENTY of opportunity to leak.

The screws are to hold the freedom tops in place if you have the rear section of the hard top removed. With the entire top on, the latches hold them down.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just installed mine on Sunday and am running as advised without the screws. Went thru a high pressure wash yesterday with no problems!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Screwless for a week with lots of rain...all good..

·
Registered
531 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yes, there are grommets for the screws to go through on the longer shades. When you get the shade, the grommet holes are covered with Velcro square covers. You take the Velcro off when you put top on. If you don't put the Velcro back on when you run with the freedom panels off, you'll get a clicking sound when the wind flutters the shade against the metal crossbar. Doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it'll drive you nuts. So don't throw the squares away.

Happy Trails,
Bob

·
Registered
556 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts