Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever purchased 2 of the JKinis and used them as a 2 piece shade on a JKU? I got an email from them verifying this should work but wanted to see if anyone has experience or pictures.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Very interested in seeing this myself.

+subscribed!

·
Registered
324 Posts
wouldn't that be the same price as buying the full length one?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yes but with kids in the back I always need the rear covered and would like the front off at times.
Understandable i guess. I bought the full for my kids as well. I like having the front covered though. Keeps the sun off of my thinning hair lol

·
Registered
465 Posts
Yes but with kids in the back I always need the rear covered and would like the front off at times.
I wanted this same thing. I ended up buying the full size and am planning on folding or rolling the front portion back when I don't want it. I should be putting the soft top on this week so I'll report back if this works well.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I take the front bungees off. Roll it up and tuck it where the sound bar is. I think having front and rear jkini is better for that situation.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I was going to go with JKini in front and Dirty Dog in rear for my dog and still might. DD allows too much sun when directly over head for me. I currently run a JKini and Safari Straps.
interesting as I have a JKini up front and was thinking of Dirty dog front and back but not you have me thinking.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I went DirtyDog 2 pc so I could keep the toddlers covered up back there at all times, but pull the front when I needed to feel the rays

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Don't forget, you can also add additional gromets where you need 'em to help tailor your top.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Do you have any pics of this?

Sorry, not yet. I received it as a gift in Feb and installed with just the sunrider opened on a warmer-than-normal day here in VA. I just wanted to make sure it fit with no issues.

As soon as it gets a little warmer I'll have that top down and will take/post a pic here.

The rear went on fine (kind of a pain with the top on but doable) and fit good. The only issue with the front I have found so far has to do with also having Grabars. There is a front strap on the DD front that wraps around the roll bar and it has a clip that you attach to the top A piller bolt opening. With the Grabar attached you can't get the clip on it. I'm working on a solution but haven't been in a hurry since Spring seems to be taking awhile. I ordered a 20 cm wire keychain cable keyring that I plan to wrap around the grabar spacer (twice) to give me something to clip on. I first put a couple 1" O-ring and could clip, but then if I want to get it off it might be a big pain in the @SS. Again, I'll report back after the keychains come in and I get it assembled

Living in VA I'm not worried about the extra UVs the DD lets in (as opposed to SWS)

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Got a chance to pull the top off yesterday, tighten up the Shade, and take it for a test drive (full disclosure, heat was on low during said drive). Drove around for about 10 minutes, got up to 50 a few times, high of 70, and the only flapping of any sort was from my seat belts (which will be fixed with a shoulder pad). There is a slight gap in the very back but I do not think it will get my little girls but will test later. Very happy with fit/product.

Attachments

·
Registered
465 Posts
Got a chance to pull the top off yesterday, tighten up the Shade, and take it for a test drive (full disclosure, heat was on low during said drive). Drove around for about 10 minutes, got up to 50 a few times, high of 70, and the only flapping of any sort was from my seat belts (which will be fixed with a shoulder pad). There is a slight gap in the very back but I do not think it will get my little girls but will test later. Very happy with fit/product.
Looks good! I did the same thing today but with the full shade

ForumRunner_20150322_172945.jpg

ForumRunner_20150322_172818.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is the exact set up I bought. Looking forward to trying it out once I get the jeep.

·
Registered
465 Posts
This is the exact set up I bought. Looking forward to trying it out once I get the jeep.
I hope I don't regret getting the full shade. I like the idea of being able to run just the rear for my daughter and having the front open

1 - 20 of 56 Posts