Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Front Splash Guards Only or All Four (Front and Rear)?

• The front splash guards provide all the protection you need and it will look great!

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • The rear splash guards provide protection and would look best if you had all four installed!

Votes: 58 47.2%
  • Getting your Jeep scratched up from daily driving on crappy roads is a "Badge of Honor!"

Votes: 15 12.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't particularly like mud flaps (splash guards) and I don't really want to install them, but this winter weather is changing my mind. I thought my Rubicon Rails and Rock Sliders would provide enough interference to keep most of the road debris from going up the side of my Jeep, but I was wrong. Since, the roads around here are covered with salt, it's easy to see the beating the front sides of my Jeep are taking. There really isn't much going on behind the rear wheels except for the bumper so I don't really think I need much protection back there.

Since my Jeep is less than a year old, I'd like to take care of it for as long as I can. If I got some scratches from completing the Rubicon Trail, I'd call it a "badge of honor" (I hope to do that someday). But getting the side of my truck beat up from driving back and forth to work isn't what I would consider a badge of honor.

So, please give me your opinion, would it look strange to have front splash guards only? Do I need the protection behind the rear wheels? I'm most likely going to by the Mopar Splash guards. Please also comment if I should be looking at something better.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have all four MOPAR splash guards on my jeep. I'm in the same boat as. I bought my jeep about a month ago. And even though they're not 100% effective. They do keep the majority of crap slinging up and onto the sides of my jeep. They honestly don't look bad at all. And very easy to install. I couldn't find a video anywhere on YouTube to help me out. But they're directions where simple enough. I would recommend putting all four. It'll stop the back wheels from flinging stuff up past the bumper and up on your tail lights etc. and the reason I went with Mopar ones. I just didn't like they way others looked. Well worth it. Don't let the dealership do it. They'll rob you of your money haha. When it'll take less than an hour to do it yourself.

·
Registered
179 Posts
All four or none at all. I have an uninstalled set in the garage - I'm going to put the Ace sliders on first and see if I can avoid the flaps altogether.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
All four Mopar. 1000% better than none.
+1 :thumb:

Plus, given the deep threads on our tires that can pick up and then throw large pieces of debris from the road, and the amount of the rear tires not covered by the factory fenders, IMHO having rear splash guards is simply being polite to the person that's behind you.

·
Super Moderator
9,120 Posts
I have a 3rd option for you: unless you need those rock rails through winter, swap them with a pair of factory Sahara Side Steps.

They are wide enough to keep most debris off the side of your JK; most people won't even notice them; they bolt on precisely where your rock rails mount; take 15 mins to swap; you can swap them back any time you want.

I bet you can pick up a used pair in the For Sale section of this forum.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I struggled with the idea of mud flaps myself, but after not being able to open the door without having muddy paws....I went with the front only, Mopar that were bought off Ebay. What a difference it makes. They were tested this last fall on some technical trails and they are pliable enough that they are still there.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If you live in a snowy climate you will definitely want at least the fronts. They will keep your door handles free of snow and the rocks off your paint. It was the first thing I did after putting on new wheels and tires. I only use the front ones, didn't see a need for the rears because there isn't any overhang. Plus it'll save ya a couple bucks.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I currently have them on the front, but plan to install some type of guard on the rear. Mud Terrain tires really pickup and throw rocks. I'd feel pretty bad if one of the rear tires threw a rock into someone else's windshield.

The front Mopar mudflaps work great with stock Rubicon tires. I've had them bent up in the rocks pretty good now, and no permanent creases.
Others have said they are not as effective with wider tires, but still better than nothing.
Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Will the 2007-2014 MOPAR splash guards fit the 2015?

Does anyone know if the set of four sold on Amazon labeled 2007-2014 will fit on the 2015 JKU Sport S? There seems to be a $20 price differential, ordering Amazon versus at the Mopar site.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No changes for 2015 there, they fit mine fine.

I run fronts only. When I move south this Summer I will likely remove the fronts.

·
Registered
103 Posts
All four Mopar. 1000% better than none.
Sure. If you're a 60 year old man.

I hate mud flaps myself. Every vehicle I've bought that had them, that was the first thing I took off.

Mud flaps have to be the lamest, most ugly thing you can put on your vehicle.

I know they work, but I could never put them on my Jeep. I wouldn't be able to look at it anymore.

But if you must. All 4 or nothing.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having them is much better than not having them, doubly so if you have mud tires. I still have chipped paint, though, on my rear door hinges. I vote all four by the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Sure. If you're a 60 year old man.

I hate mud flaps myself. Every vehicle I've bought that had them, that was the first thing I took off.

Mud flaps have to be the lamest, most ugly thing you can put on your vehicle.

I know they work, but I could never put them on my Jeep. I wouldn't be able to look at it anymore.

But if you must. All 4 or nothing.
Cool story bro.

Function>Form

I don't run mud flaps but I've been thinking about it....Any time the roads are wet my Jeep gets painted a new color.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you live in a snowy climate you will definitely want at least the fronts. They will keep your door handles free of snow and the rocks off your paint. It was the first thing I did after putting on new wheels and tires. I only use the front ones, didn't see a need for the rears because there isn't any overhang. Plus it'll save ya a couple bucks.
Just bought a new JKU and can't believe the amount of slush and dirt that sticks to the fenders and door handles. I'll be adding these very soon!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts