Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 12 rock lights by rigid under my jeep and want to clean up the wiring. I currently have them running through the rigid providided fuse box then tp my spod but want to do away with the ridigid provided block. Can anyone advise me ow to runthe wires to spod. Its allot of wires. It there a way to narrow down the number of wires?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45 Posts
To further help you with this I need the following:

Number of lights
Number of spod channels
Locations of all lights (approximate IE one on each wheel well, 2 pillar lights, bumper lights, etc)
Desired level of control (IE I want each one controllable individually or all on one switch or whatever's in between)
What spod version you have.

I'll gladly whip up an electrical drawing and recommend terminal blocks and similar for you with this information :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its 12 rock lights trying to run them on one channel of my 6 channel spod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
45 Posts
12 individual lights?

SPOD or SPOD SE? There's an electrical difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Okay, basically you are going to want to know the amperage of each individual light. Basically, use terminal blocks if you can, connect all of the negatives of the lights together at the most common point of the jeep (ie the location closest to the middle of all of the lights) and join them there. Do the same thing with the positives. Then run one large wire from each, wire size will depend on the total amperage of the lights (if each light is 1 amp then you need wire rated for 12v 12a, if each is 2a then you need 12v 24a, etc, etc)

Terminal blocks are things like this: http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/images/JB7_C_sm.gif

If the total amperage of the lights exceeds the rated amperage of the channel on the SPOD (15a or 30a depending on the fuse provided) you will need to use a relay from the battery and control the relay with the spod. All of that wiring would never leave your hood.

Does that help?

Reactions: Maxxx
1 - 7 of 7 Posts