Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Installed the source to the battery and housed it next to the engine, now just need to install the switches in the cabin. Any tips on removing the plastic molding on a JK? The front seems to come off without a problem but they are still attached to the sides and don't want to damage anything. Any help on removing the windshield plastic molding and the side panel to get access to the firewall would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hi all,

Installed the source to the battery and housed it next to the engine, now just need to install the switches in the cabin. Any tips on removing the plastic molding on a JK? The front seems to come off without a problem but they are still attached to the sides and don't want to damage anything. Any help on removing the windshield plastic molding and the side panel to get access to the firewall would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Bob
Done! What a PITA!! First you have to cut the plaster molding on top or the bracket wont fit, second the side moldings don't come off easy, the screw in there is plastic hole and extremely easy to break... had to drill into it to remove. Finally had to cut a whole in the rubber in the firewall... there was 0 clearance and the video shows to get the cable from the cab to the engine bay... wrong much too difficult! Just connect the wire to the source and put the wire in that hole you made... then just connect it to the console.

So yes, it is an amazing product, but this is not as easy as its shown in the video. If you do not have experience with these things just don't schedule anything for that day!

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
Done! What a PITA!! First you have to cut the plaster molding on top or the bracket wont fit, second the side moldings don't come off easy, the screw in there is plastic hole and extremely easy to break... had to drill into it to remove. Finally had to cut a whole in the rubber in the firewall... there was 0 clearance and the video shows to get the cable from the cab to the engine bay... wrong much too difficult! Just connect the wire to the source and put the wire in that hole you made... then just connect it to the console.

So yes, it is an amazing product, but this is not as easy as its shown in the video. If you do not have experience with these things just don't schedule anything for that day!
I haven't heard anyone say it was that difficult to install. Glad you finally got it installed. The sPod is next on my list of mods.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I am about to order an spod also and the installation has me a little worried. I have no idea how to do this. I have looked at the videos from their site but as above, it really doesn't show you how to get the plastic panels to come off.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I never removed the A pillar trim, I just plled the side away a bit and slid the wiring in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never removed the A pillar trim, I just plled the side away a bit and slid the wiring in.
It depends what model of jeep you have, on a jk 2013 removing the pillar was necessary to remove the bottom panel. The difficult part was removing that plastic bolt... it would just turn in the void. Had to drill it out and get a new bold for when I put it back together.

Also, the firewall is not opened, you need to slit an opening in the plastic and you can't really go from the cabin to the engine... much easier to drop the wire from the engine bay to the cabin. I found the other way impossible.

Also the video does not show you have to cut the top molding to fit the console. I had to use a cutting wheel to cut the plastic so the edges would fit.

Just not as easy as the video shows... if you are careful and take your time its going take a while to install...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rubicon2013,
First off...thanks for the compliments! We are sure the sPOD system will perform to the highest standards in the industry for you! We take pride in the fact that our American made system will provide you a very safe way to power, control and manage all your aftermarket electrical accessories!

It depends what model of jeep you have, on a jk 2013 removing the pillar was necessary to remove the bottom panel.
The difficult part was removing that plastic bolt... it would just turn in the void. Had to drill it out and get a new bold for when I put it back together.
There is no need to remove the A-Pillar plastic piece to run the cable down. The side panel next to the door jamb will easily come off and expose the area where the cable comes down from the A-Pillar plastic piece. Just pull the edge open (the edge close to the windshield) and tuck the cable behind it. The cable will drop right down behind the dash. This is only possible if you install the cable working from the inside of the vehicle to the outside as the instructions indicate.

Also, the firewall is not opened, you need to slit an opening in the plastic and you can't really go from the cabin to the engine... much easier to drop the wire from the engine bay to the cabin. I found the other way impossible.
On the automatics, the clutch pedal hole is where the access point is for our cable to come through into the engine compartment. We indicate to use a screw driver to open a small hole to push the cable through. This should be done from the inside going through into the engine compartment. The reason is that the connector on the sPOD's Source side is much smaller and was designed to fit through that foam filled hole.

Also the video does not show you have to cut the top molding to fit the console. I had to use a cutting wheel to cut the plastic so the edges would fit.
You are correct that the video does not show that step of trimming a 1/4" off the edges of the footman loop access cutout on the plastic windshield header.. But it is illustrated in our instructions. This is not required on all Jeep Jk's. for some reason Jeep uses two different molds. The trimming if required is very simple and can be done with an Exacto blade. In the case with the Jeep that was used in the video, this was not required.

Just not as easy as the video shows... if you are careful and take your time its going take a while to install...
Our support is some of the most personable support and thorough in the industry, if you ever have any questions, please feel free to call us 24/7/365. It is not unheard of us taking calls even on Sunday nights, camping, on the trail or at dinner time....I'm sure others will attest to this.

Regards
-john the sPOD guy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am about to order an spod also and the installation has me a little worried. I have no idea how to do this. I have looked at the videos from their site but as above, it really doesn't show you how to get the plastic panels to come off.
Rundm,
Please email us and we will be sure and send you a full set of installation instructions.
We can also send you pictures if you like.

Regards
-john the sPOD guy

·
Premium Member
3,643 Posts
I have been buying gift certificates from EAD Offroad when I have had some extra funds. When I have enough in certificates, I will be ordering one. I'm looking forward to getting this, I will admit though, when I first heard about it, I said it was too expensive, but thinking about it and the additional electrical mods I want to eventually do, it seems like a sound investment and well worth the money, especially given the quality of the sPod compared to other options.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
4,474 Posts
John,

Thanks for stepping in!! I was not sure. Your the man! Have fun next week...

Guys, the sPod is simply amazing! It makes life adding accesories to the JK a dream come true. All the ones we have installed has been less than a hour! Super easy. Plus it saves you from drilling any holes in the dash or wherever else in the JK! It has the LVC and all the fuses and relays setup. You can't go wrong with the sPod!

-Jason

-Jason

·
Registered
811 Posts
It's my own Lay-Away plan.:rofl: No fees, no time restrictions.
It's a good idea on bigger ticket items :thumb:

John and Cinde are always working, I'm never surprised when I get replies to my emails and calls during the weekend.

Don't forget we still have free shipping on sPOD :D

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Installed mine about a Week ago.

No Problems, No Cutting, No Drilling, ect...Everything went smooth.

Only Tricky Part is getting the Switch Harness through the Firewall, but if you're Patient, you'll get it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a manual and found that it was easier to run a coat hanger from the engine side. Popped out in the cabin right where I needed it then pulled the wires right through.

·
Registered
257 Posts
EAD Offroad said:
It's a good idea on bigger ticket items :thumb:

John and Cinde are always working, I'm never surprised when I get replies to my emails and calls during the weekend.

Don't forget we still have free shipping on sPOD :D
I just ordered my SPOD from you guys along with a Evap relocation from Dominion :)
Can't wait to check the mail tonight!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I just slid the wires down the side on the pillar. I thought about pulling the plastic, but it was not needed. I love the SPOD. Now I just need more money for toys to hook up to it. I did need to trim my plastic trim piece for the mounting bracket above the mirror. Not bad at all. Great customer service. I e-mailed on a Sunday and got a phone call within an hour. Not promising you the same response, but I was happy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts