Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So all of us with the new Pentastar engine know how much heat that tamale puts out. When I have my accessories running and have been driving for awhile my Spod gets very hot. Too hot to hold on to the aluminum cover, and under the cover it's even hotter. I was thinking of milling out a hole in the cover and adding a small 12v computer colling fan to either the side or top. I am not too worried about the relays or fuses getting hot, I can replace those. I am worried about the small diodes on the fragile circuit board.

Has anyone added a fan to exhaust the heat? It's either that or remove the cover all together.:confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
You could also go with a heat vent on your hood. I have the AEV heat reduction hood on my '13 JKUR and there is a vent on the side just in front of where my SPod sits. Keeps cool(er) air flowing over it when I drive. Expensive though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could also go with a heat vent on your hood. I have the AEV heat reduction hood on my '13 JKUR and there is a vent on the side just in front of where my SPod sits. Keeps cool(er) air flowing over it when I drive. Expensive though.

Yea, that's a good idea. It's what I plan to do in the near future, I was hoping to do this in the short term. Actually It would be cooler without that cover on there, it just traps all the heat and has no vents to let anything out. Maybe it's not a big deal on the 3.8, but the 3.6 is a BBQ under the hood.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe ask John at SPOD if he thinks the higher temps might be a problem first? I am looking at buying one myself and had not thought about the under hood temperature - he may be able to say what design parameters he was working to. (Their site says they are currently closed until November 6th while they are exhibiting at SEMA)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Personally, I'd be much more worried about water getting into the thing than the temperature. Might be worth it to ask SPOD about the temps though.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Personally, I'd be much more worried about water getting into the thing than the temperature. Might be worth it to ask SPOD about the temps though.

It's not waterproof, but I don't drive in water that deep. I do deal with heat daily. I sent them a email, but I can see all that heat shortening it's life. Computer boards that sit in air conditioned rooms and have multiple cooling fans still have thermal problems occasionally. I am going to take a thermal reading and post it up later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts