Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering the SPOD. After reading and watching videos it seems to have 2 advantages:

1. No need for relay and extra wiring during install.
2. Clean look. No switches all over the dash.

My issue is every aftermarket light set that I look at includes the extra wiring, relay etc. Seems like i am just going to buy lights and trash most of the extra stuff not needed if SPOD is installed.

Anybody aware of a source where I can buy just the lights with pos/neg wires and not pay for relay etc that will be thrown away?

Thanks.

If not may still be worth it as the SPOD is a clean looking install.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it is

and generally - the lights have a waterproof disconnect to the harness that comes with it - which you'll probably want to cut shorter to wire it to the sPOD

New to all this. Are you saying discard the disconnect? Harness refers to relay or entire wiring set up to the lights themselves?

Thanks

·
Nature Photog and Jeeper
2,981 Posts
no no no - I'm saying most lights have a connector between them and the harness that comes with it.

so to make wiring everything easier - you need the harness to go between the lights and the sPOD :)

well you at least need the female connector end and enough wire to reach the sPOD from wherever the lights are mounted!

·
Registered
656 Posts
The sPOD is worth the price of the install. And later the removal of the hassle of wiring light switches into the cabin.

Once its installed, you basically clip the wires from lights and crimp u-shaped connectors to the wiring put some heat shrink on the wires and wire that to the sPOD. The sPOD makes it that you only have to wire up the cabin once, no more cutting, no more trim removal etc.

The extra wiring that comes with the lights, just use what you need and recycle the rest.

For me the sPOD is in the top five mods to have on the Jeep!

·
Registered
695 Posts
My rule of thumb on sPODS:

If you plan on wiring up 3 or more accessories (several lights, lockers, air compressor etc . . ) = sPOD

Less than 3 = pass

If you only plan on getting windshield lights, I think a nice rocker switch on the inside a-pillar is clean and convenient.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. I will likely get SPOD.

Any point in not cutting anything, in other words just wire lights inc. relay to SPOD or is this a no no (2 relays)? Better to cut out relay that comes with lights?

·
Registered
656 Posts
yeah just cut the wire harness at the relay and use the wires between it and the connector to the lights - the sPOD already has the relays, fuses etc that are needed - you just need power and ground from the lights to the sPOD.
Just make sure you are using the same kind of fuse for the lights that comes with the lights. I just take the fuse out of the lighting harness and use it. The ones in the sPOD I just save them for backups.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I think everyone that has a Spod loves it. Those that don't have one, wishes they were cheaper. It's a little pricey for a switch panel but works great with built in protection. I love mine.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I absolutely love my sPOD! I tried buying all the wiring harness but after 2 weeks I ordered the sPOD. It is definitely worth it. So far I'm only using 2 switches :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Worth every penny. Keeps the engine bay clean and organized, safety net if you leave your lights on too long the sPod turns them off and easy install.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts