Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some issues with the driver's side brake light on my 93 2.5L.

Typically, when I start it up the driver's side brake light will not work. However, if I turn on the left turn signal for a second (which does work), the brake light will then start working for a period of time. After a bit it will stop until I use the left turn signal again.

I took the brake light housing apart this weekend looking for a loose wire, but everything looked fine on the back end.

Can anyone give me some insight on how the bake/turn signal works? Where does the turn signal and brake light wires meet? Is it some sort of capacitor that controls the two?

(The PO left quite a rat's nest of wires under the dash, so any help on where to begin my search would be helpful.)

Thanks

·
Registered
551 Posts
It sounds like your turn signal switch is on it's way out. The brake light circuit goes through the turn signal switch. The brake light part of the turn signal switch is normally closed sending power to both sides. When you flip on your signal it opens the circuit on that side and closes the signal circuit sending power from the flasher instead of the brake switch. There are sliding contacts in the turn signal switch that get corroded/dirty/worn over time. Sometimes contact is temporarily reestablished when the switch is moved.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank's Tye. That could be the culprit, I've noticed that when I use the left turn signal it does not like to pop out and the right turn signal won't stay in. Maybe something is broken in there. I didn't realize the brake circuit came through there.

Thanks for the insight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts