Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, within the last week, randomly when I touch the brakes, Im greeted by the rear wheels locking up and skidding me sidways...:banghead:

It doesnt happen often but when it does it sure scares the :eek: out of me!

Any ideas?? :confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
matt88-8 said:
Hi, within the last week, randomly when I touch the brakes, Im greeted by the rear wheels locking up and skidding me sidways...:banghead:

It doesnt happen often but when it does it sure scares the :eek: out of me!

Any ideas?? :confused:
Oil or brake fluid on brake linings.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Pull your rear drums apart and make sure every thing is working properly. Mine did that and it turned out I had a busted retainer spring on each side. Those are the springs on the pins that hold the brake shoes to the backing plate

·
Registered
280 Posts
Might want to pull the drums and have a look. Leaking wheel cylinders or axle seals will cause the rears to grab.

·
Registered
458 Posts
This happens to me too when it has been very humid at night. I bought cheap shoes... they wear quickly, and seem to just "love" moisture. Has any moisture come your way lately?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine do that too. After a damp day and my jeep has been sitting the first couple times I use the brakes they seem to be touchy.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, what about on a dry day, If you hit the brakes hard, should the rear brakes lockup before the fronts do?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,111 Posts
Ok, what about on a dry day, If you hit the brakes hard, should the rear brakes lockup before the fronts do?
The rear brakes should never lock up. When the rear brakes lock up, directional stability is lost and the vehicle can slide out of control.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, learned that one....

So do you guys think its the brake bias? or what could be wrong??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,111 Posts
If you haven't swapped in an aftermarket brake proportioning valve, your f/r brake bias is fine. Did you ever PM Blaine at Black Magic Brakes like I suggested earlier?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,111 Posts
At this point, if the rear drum brakes aren't contaminated with oil and are adjusted properly, I'd suspect perhaps one of the three previous owners might have swapped in an aftermarket brake proportioning valve that isn't setup properly. F/r brake bias is supposed to be somewhere pretty close to 75/25 or 80/20. If you haven't heard back from Blaine yet, I'd PM him again... he is the Jedi Master of brakes and braking problems.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
torn into the brakes last night, no oil in them, but a thing ring of rust, and lots of brake dust...

My guess is that in the damp weather, the powder was causing them to lockup.

guess we will see next time it rains...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts