Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sport Bar Pads on my 98 TJ are getting old and a little beat up. What are the best looking replacements (Bestop, Smitty, etc.)?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
You could always take them off entirely if you like the look. Certain paint jobs make it look better this way. I've been wanting to do this but don't want to deal with taking my front bars off just to get the padding off

·
Registered
34 Posts
The pads on my 97 are pretty worn out. Looking into doing something about them at some point. Anyone ever used pre slit black foam tubular pipe insulation and zip ties??

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about the late reply... They are torn and faded so I need a replacement set. I would like them to look as stock as possible.

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Regular spray paint will make them stiff and probably flake off in a most unsightly manner. I wouldn't do it unless you are prepared to replace them or remove them all together, but keep in mind, occasionally a noggin comes in contact with them, and sometimes they are used for holding on to, and bare metal is hard, and hot or cold, depending.....

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
An old detail shop trick was laquer spray paint. Used to use it on faded carpets etc. No problems with flaking.

I put the Bestop replacements on my YJ and think they look great. They've held up well for about 5 yrs now.

·
Trail Mom
2,864 Posts
FWIW, if you remove them completely, your top may slap against the metal. It's the most annoying sound I've heard since screaming children.

·
Vendor
5,688 Posts
I'm not certain if Smitty makes sport bar covers. Rugged Ridge does, as does VDP (theirs are all in camo).

Bestop's are designed to look like stock. I doubt anyone would ever really see the difference between ours and the factory models. BUT this might be true for the competition's as well: I've never really looked at their sport bar covers.

Someone was making fat puffy covers, but I'm not sure who it was now.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Geoff,
I have the Bestops in the garage (waiting to be installed) so I will see how they look.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts