Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for my first jeep AS A TOY. The big question is, Sport or Rubicon? Looking to start with light offroading since this will be my first offroader and then move up the stages with offroading. Willing to answer any questions, please no biased opinions though such as "Rubicon because its better". Thanks guys! (And yes, ive done my research, i know the features of both models) :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Are you after a TJ or a JK?

A Rubicon adds about $6000 to the price tag for features that you may realistically never need. A 4:1 transfer case isn't the best choice for mud or sand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you after a TJ or a JK?

A Rubicon adds about $6000 to the price tag for features that you may realistically never need. A 4:1 transfer case isn't the best choice for mud or sand.
TJ or JK, not too picky. Just wanna have some offroad fun. Will most likely start off in the mud, wont be doing much sand driving.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
JKs, TJs and YJs are all very different types of Wranglers with strong arguments for each. Cost being the first consideration.

Rubicons are made for rocks, not mud.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JKs, TJs and YJs are all very different types of Wranglers with strong arguments for each.

Rubicons are made for rocks, not mud.
So would a sport be better for me at first? I am looking to build it up over the years as i get more experienced with offroading. So maybe a good plan is to get a Sport and build it up over a couple years into a great crawler?

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
For an offroad toy, it's hard to beat a TJ. If you're only doing light offroad and don't care about which transfer case or front axle you have, then the sport would probably be fine.

People are always going to say Rubicon is better, because it's true :)

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
For the cost of a Rubicon, you can take a lesser Wrangler and build something more capable and better tailored for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For an offroad toy, it's hard to beat a TJ. If you're only doing light offroad and don't care about which transfer case or front axle you have, then the sport would probably be fine.

People are always going to say Rubicon is better, because it's true :)
For the cost of a Rubicon, you can take a lesser Wrangler and build something more capable and better tailored for you.
I cant tell if you guys are saying go with a sport or a rubicon lol

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I cant tell if you guys are saying go with a sport or a rubicon lol
Yeah, I guess I'm kinda endorsing both :)

What I mean is, we all know that a stock Rubicon has more features than a stock Sport, so it's "better" but really, a stock sport awesomely capable.

If I were looking for a weekend toy, I would look for a Rubicon, but if I found a sport first, I would jump on it if the price was right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, I guess I'm kinda endorsing both :)

What I mean is, we all know that a stock Rubicon has more features than a stock Sport, so it's "better" but really, a stock sport awesomely capable.

If I were looking for a weekend toy, I would look for a Rubicon, but if I found a sport first, I would jump on it if the price was right.
Yea theres an '01 Sport for sale for about 6k close to my house

1 - 20 of 27 Posts