Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, here's the deal. I have a 2013 JKU Sport with 3.73's. The plan in my head has been to one day find a Rubicon Dana 44 takeoff to replace my 30 up front. So I've found someone that has both front and rear axles (with 4.10's)for sale with less than 500 miles on them. So other than adding 4.10 gears to my current Dana 44 in the rear, is it really just as simple as dropping the 30 and bolting up the 44? Or is there more to it than that? Also, would it be an issue with the front having lockers and no lockers in the rear? And finally, would it be worth buying the rear axle for the lockers? Is there any difference between a rear Dana 44 on a sport vs. a Rubicon other than lockers? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
The lockers are E Lockers so some wiring would need to be completed...if you look at the cost a stock 44 axle is about $1750 new...a gear swap is about $1500. Your gears in front and in back have to match. If youre getting a good deal go for it. But it will be a lot of work. If you have an automatic, youll also need a procal or similar to adjust the transmission to the new gear ratios.

·
Super Moderator
15,371 Posts
Yep, the biggie is matching the gears. Has to be the same front and rear.
So decide if you'd rather regear your rear 44, or buy the Rubi with a locker.
No diff in the Rubi rear 44 other than the e locker.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I have a procal already so I'm set there. Sounds like it may be worth it to get the rear for matching gears and lockers.....

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I have a procal already so I'm set there. Sounds like it may be worth it to get the rear for matching gears and lockers.....
exactly

1 - 5 of 5 Posts