Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ok I know a hundred million people ask this but in each persons case it is different and the scenario changes for everyone depending on the variables.

Back in September I bought a used 2007 2 door X with 50,000 miles. I kept my 2005 Ford Ranger (also relatively low miles) to have a back up vehicle. Well between loving the Jeep life and nickel and dime issues with the Ranger, and learning what I do and do not need in a jeep, I have pretty much decided to trade both in and buy a new wrangler. The Ranger is paid off so That will help offset some cost. I'm not wanting to go crazy in debt buying the new Jeep, but I also want to have a solid base for building, and to make sure I'll be happy with it.

Things I don't like on my current jeep:
3.21s suck.
Not digging the half doors as much as I thought.
Need a hardtop for winter.
Pouring a quart of oil in every couple thousand miles is getting old.
My soft top needs replaced.
Windshield wiper motor needs replaced.

The upside is pretty much all the upgrades I have done are removable so I can just swap them over to the new one.

Things I want:
At LEAST 3.73s. Would like to go w/ 35s eventually.
The extra horsepower from the 3.6
If the dual top option was available on all models I would probably go that route. If it's not I will go hard top and buy trektop nx later.
Limited slip would be a major plus. It snows here.
Crank windows/locks are fine.
USB in the center console.
Steel wheels and baby tires are ok, I will keep my current rims to swap. (Need new tires though)
Air conditioning (for road trips with the wife. I know. )
Any color you want as long as it's black.

I have built probably 100 jeeps in different conditions on the jeep site. I can't figure out for the life of me which route to go. And I really don't understand some of the differences (like the difference between sport and sport s, etc except that you can get ac as an option in the s but not the regular sport). I can do most of my own mods so that's not a factor.

Can anyone who has gone through this help me out? Anyone think I should just go balls to the wall with a rubicon? I would love the 4.10s but prefer limited slip over lockers, and I am not planning on any crazy wheeling, light trail riding at the most, but truthfully mostly dry pavement, with some driving around the farm thrown in. Willys? Mud tires aren't gonna help me much on snow and ice we get for the winter, but I like the "Rubicon Lite" idea.

Sorry for rambling. Just trying to provide detail for my own situation.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Yeah I'm with you. I went through this same scenario but two years ago. I was coming from an older jeep and wanted to keep my new one as basic as possible. I ended up getting a Willys it can have everything you mentioned. Air,dual tops. 3.73, LSD the Usb in the counsel etc. mine has crank Windows. I thought it was a good value over the sport. With the same look as a rubicon and quite a bit of off-road readiness. I too was concerned about mud tires in the snow but with the LSD, traction and stability control I found the jeep to be awesome in the snow, even on mud tires...compared to my YJ on all terrain tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm thinking about a similar purchase. From what I can tell:
-you cant get limited slip or dual tops on the plain sport, but can get AC and 3.73s
-the sport s comes with AC, so it's not an add on option. You can get 3.73s, dual tops, and lsd with it. You can also get the connectivity group (which gives you the usb port).
-the regular willys comes with 3.73s and lsd, and the connectivity group. You can get AC as an option, but not the dual top group.
-the willys w gives you all of the above, plus the option to add the dual tops.

So the two options for everything you want are the sport s or the willys wheeler w.

Good luck! Building these jeeps sure is fun!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess my biggest issue is once you get all these options on, you're very close to rubicon price territory. And then it's hard not to justify just going for the "ultimate" model (my general perception.)

Jeep pricing is just a classic bait and switch. That's actually the reason I started looking. I stopped by chance and looked at a bare bones new sport sitting in a dealer lot, and I was surprised by the low price. They get you by making you upgrade to higher models for one or two options that you want. So you end up paying $6000 for a few $500 options. Then you just say F--- it and buy a $40,000 Rubicon Hard Rock.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Ok, I was in a very similar situation as you. I even have the Ranger too. I had a 2010 stripped Rubi with half doors and a worn out top, that used oil. Got tired of loud road trips with the half doors/soft top, thought I need a hard top for winter and not burning oil would be great. I too prefer lsd over lockers so the Rubi wasn't offering much for me. So I traded for a 2013 sport s. Just realized late last year that the wife and I no longer go for rides in the Jeep, she hates the full doors but never realized it. It was that much of a difference. The hardtop is nice since it doesn't scratch, but I miss the ease of dropping the factory top. Btw, I got a trektop and prefer the oem.

Now if you are still reading, I looked at trying a 4 door. To me, the basic willys (not the w package) is the best deal - especially since I was thinking of going half door. It would get me everything I wanted without paying for extras that the willys adds anyway. To me the willys w is like the sport s, but with the willys you already get the bigger tires, connectivity package, usb and I think the command center so all it really adds is power windows which you lose if you do half doors.

I know it's different for 2 doors, but maybe those thoughts will help.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with KC_Hawker your list of what you want perfectly fits the basic Willys Wheeler.

My only wish on mine is I would have liked the power locks, but im planning to fix that.

·
Administrator
16,969 Posts
I've owned a SPORT- 2013 JKU
I own a Rubi- 2014 JKUR
I own a Willys- 2016 JKWW

Doesn't matter what anyone thinks BUT YOU. Keep reading up and eventually you'll figure out what will work best for you.

I'll offer my opinion since you asked for help; sounds like the Willys would be a great option for you. Don't worry about the mud tires if you'll be switching them out anyways. I'll also mention we put a Trektop Pro on ours and love it, might be something to consider instead of dual tops.

Good luck!!

PS: Here's the Willys, 35" Duratracs:

Trektop before the 35s:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I'm definitely sticking with 2 doors. Definitely want full doors too. The Willys is looking like my best option, just seems sooo close to rubicon price.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
If you didn't like the 3.21s on your current jeep, take it from my experience. You won't like 3.73s on 35s.

If your end game is 35s, the rubicon with 4.10s is a good bet. I don't think you'll actually miss the lsd as much as you think you might. Even with it, it's still a rear wheel drive that is going to slide a bit.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you didn't like the 3.21s on your current jeep, take it from my experience. You won't like 3.73s on 35s. If your end game is 35s, the rubicon with 4.10s is a good bet. I don't think you'll actually miss the lsd as much as you think you might. Even with it, it's still a rear wheel drive that is going to slide a bit.
Duly noted, thank you. This is something I was wondering about.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For those who have gone from 3.8 to 3.6, how big of a difference did you notice in power? Also note your gearing on both please

·
Commercial Member
287 Posts
For those who have gone from 3.8 to 3.6, how big of a difference did you notice in power? Also note your gearing on both please
I have a 2013 2 door sport 3.6 w/3.21 gears stock tires. I have driven my buddies 3.8 2010 w/3.21 gears and I can notice a pretty significant difference in power. I believe it's around 75hp difference

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 2013 2 door sport 3.6 w/3.21 gears stock tires. I have driven my buddies 3.8 2010 w/3.21 gears and I can notice a pretty significant difference in power. I believe it's around 75hp difference
Right I knew the actual numbers, just wondering how much of that you could really notice.

I would be 99% happy with a Willys if I could get one with 4.10 gearing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
My wife had an 08 JK Sahara 6spd with 3.73. Compared to the 15 JKUWW I have now the power difference is noticeable, very noticeable lol.

On what model to get if the little extra cash for a rubicon isn't an issue for you that's how I would go. I actually wish I would have went with an Auto Rubicon with the 4.10's. In my case it would have saved me from re-gearing, and having to instal an aftermarket LSD since the factory one was in pieces when the shop pulled my rear apart.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I looked and compared for a month. I went with the Willys Wheeler because I was not looking to do major upgrades for a little while, lift, tires,bumpers,...etc. I'm very happy with my decision!
It wheels very well, just saying!

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you didn't like the 3.21s on your current jeep, take it from my experience. You won't like 3.73s on 35s. If your end game is 35s, the rubicon with 4.10s is a good bet. I don't think you'll actually miss the lsd as much as you think you might. Even with it, it's still a rear wheel drive that is going to slide a bit.
^^^^this...added BFG KO2 34x10.5 R17 to my stock lightly modified (TF HD Carrier/TUFFY sec deck) JKUR w/ 4.10...might be better served w/4.56 p. For 2 door 4.10 and 35's might be a perfect match.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it would serve a purpose for reference, my Ranger is an auto 4.0L with 4.10s and I'm happy with the power on it. That engine is probably more comparable to the 3.8. But it also only has something like 29 or 30" tires on it.

·
Administrator
16,969 Posts
Anyone think I should just go balls to the wall with a rubicon?
I guess my biggest issue is once you get all these options on, you're very close to rubicon price territory.
The Willys is looking like my best option, just seems sooo close to rubicon price.
You guys are going to make me piss off my wife if you convince me on a rubicon....

Come on now, we're all adults here. If you can't stop talking about the Rubi now, imagine how it will be later.
Just buy it. Blame it on us if you need to. :D

1 - 20 of 104 Posts