Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope you guys can help me out. I've recently installed a 2 inch lift, OME springs with Rancho 9000 shocks. I have an aev front bumper and winch with synthetic line. The ride is really bad over bumps, pot holes and corrugated roads. It's jarring
Also did all the necessary geometry correction adjustments.

It's similar to the stock ride I think. After the lift, I started off with the standard Goodyear wranglers then moved to a 285 75r17 geolandar LT tyre on 27 psi. Both felt similar.
Shocks are set at 3 but will move back up to 4 as it's too wobbly.

Im considering either synergy 2 inch coils or evo 3inch Plush coils. Which of the two would be more comfortable on road? I understand I'll need to change a few extra things to get the 3 inch lift but if it means it'll be more comfortable than the synergy, I am willing to do it. I'm looking for that 'Cadillac ride'. My LT tyres probably aren't doing me well too.

·
Super Moderator
15,454 Posts
OME springs are very close to stock spring rate. So are the Synergy springs. Do you have their "heavy" springs?

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
How much distance is there between the bump stops and the bumps (jounces I believe they are called)?
If the distance there is right, the springs are likely not the problem. If you don't have enough distance there the springs could be too soft for your Jeep and its weight. If the distance there is over half of the suspensions travel the springs could be too stiff.
As mentioned, harsh suspension isn't usually springs unless the springs are allowing the suspension to bottom excessively or are way too stiff. OME springs aren't going to be way too stiff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just out of curiosity, what are the OME springs that you bought?
My apologies for the late response guys. I bought front 2 inch springs made for a bumper with no winch (mine has a winch) may have shot myself in the foot there) and 2 inch rear no load springs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shocks are contributing to the rough ride way more than the springs.
Are the tires load range e?
I'm running the tires at 26psi while cold, I have a feeling it's my tires. they are E load range and 10 ply. I'm considering swapping them over to Falken wildpeak at3w 275/70r17 which are C load range & 6 ply which should make a difference.

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
The softer tire will help. Do the 285-75-17C.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are the OME springs that you bought?
My apologies for the late response guys. I bought front 2 inch springs made for a bumper with no winch (mine has a winch) may have shot myself in the foot there) and 2 inch rear no load springs
If you don't mind letting us know how much height you gain. I'm interested on this same combo but I'm planning to go on loaded ones in the back and bumper but no winch in the front but I don't want to go to high that I will need to buy control arms and other stuff

·
Registered
4,639 Posts
You can call the OME tech line to find the spring rates on their springs.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If you don't mind letting us know how much height you gain. I'm interested on this same combo but I'm planning to go on loaded ones in the back and bumper but no winch in the front but I don't want to go to high that I will need to buy control arms and other stuff
The last time I measured it was:
2015 JK Willys w/Auto
LT285/75R17 Tires (33" measured @30psi)
Soft Top with OME 2616/2617 springs
Front Pinch 21"
Rear Pinch 21"
Front Spring Tower Measurement
12" front (2-5/8" lift)
Rear Bump Stop Measurement.
7" rear (2" lift)

Front bumper is a Genright Fusion stubby with a M8000 winch and the rear is a Genright Fusion mid width. I used 60066M Front Shocks and 60067 Rear Shocks. The highway ride is stiffer than stock but not objectionable.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The last time I measured it was:
2015 JK Willys w/Auto

LT285/75R17 Tires (33" measured @30psi)
Soft Top with OME 2616/2617 springs
Front Pinch 21"
Rear Pinch 21"
Front Spring Tower Measurement
12" front (2-5/8" lift)
Rear Bump Stop Measurement.
7" rear (2" lift)

Front bumper is a Genright Fusion stubby with a M8000 winch and the rear is a Genright Fusion mid width. I used 60066M Front Shocks and 60067 Rear Shocks. The highway ride is stiffer than stock but not objectionable.
Nice thank you much this is really useful. Some people have reported getting 3" or more using OME but I guess is mostof them throw 4 door springs into the 2 door. I noticed several sites list the 4 part numbers as 2 door kits too

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Nice thank you much this is really useful. Some people have reported getting 3" or more using OME but I guess is mostof them throw 4 door springs into the 2 door. I noticed several sites list the 4 part numbers as 2 door kits too
Yes they do but so does OME. Their descriptions are weight based so a light 4dr and a heavy 2dr might need the same spring. Confusing but techically correct. Here's a spreadsheet I made when I was deciding what I should buy. It has descriptions by both OME and Q-tec. The one thing I noticed in the kits on various websites was that a HD spring kit included the overland springs. With springs meant to support 660 pounds in the rear before you load in the cargo, an unloaded 2dr JK would ride like the frame was welded to the axles.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The OME springs i have, the front is made for a bumper with no winch (I have a winch) the rear springs i have are made for a jk with no weight ie. No rear bumper, draws etc. So I don't have their heavy springs.

My tires are a load range E 121/118S so that could be a contributing factor.

I have about 2 inches of space between the front bump stops and the bump stop plate. The rear has even more room

I've decided to pull the trigger on Evo 3 inch Plush ride coils since I want a bit extra ground clearance anyway and have heard good things about them. I found a buyer for my current springs and shocks.

I've tried almost every setting on the shocks with no luck. I even dropped my psi to 26 while the tires were warmed up, still no good.

Im going to see if I can exchange the tires for falken wildpeak at3w in 270/75 17 which is a C load range tire. The at3w has a load rating of 114/110s which should be a more comfortable compared to the geolandar i currently have.

I believe I'll benefit from going up to the 3 inch lift because if decide to go down slightly in a tire size, i will lose a bit of ground clearance, i was already scraping my belly on this lift so hopefully I should be a bit better off

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I haven’t had the opportunity to try the EVO plush ride but I do swear by the RockKrawler triple rates. Much smoother ride then Factory or TF coils. I just did 4.5” front springs and 3.5”
Rear springs in order to keep level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
The OME springs i have, the front is made for a bumper with no winch (I have a winch) the rear springs i have are made for a jk with no weight ie. No rear bumper, draws etc. So I don't have their heavy springs.

My tires are a load range E 121/118S so that could be a contributing factor.

I have about 2 inches of space between the front bump stops and the bump stop plate. The rear has even more room

I've decided to pull the trigger on Evo 3 inch Plush ride coils since I want a bit extra ground clearance anyway and have heard good things about them. I found a buyer for my current springs and shocks.

I've tried almost every setting on the shocks with no luck. I even dropped my psi to 26 while the tires were warmed up, still no good.

Im going to see if I can exchange the tires for falken wildpeak at3w in 270/75 17 which is a C load range tire. The at3w has a load rating of 114/110s which should be a more comfortable compared to the geolandar i currently have.

I believe I'll benefit from going up to the 3 inch lift because if decide to go down slightly in a tire size, i will lose a bit of ground clearance, i was already scraping my belly on this lift so hopefully I should be a bit better off
2" of space between the bumps and the bump stops isn't much. Sure, the bumps will compress another inch or so, but two inches of travel before the bumps hit the stops isn't much and as such you probably spend a fair amount of time bottoming the suspension. More gap between the bump and the stops would give your suspension more room to work. Longer springs could achieve that, or the existing springs coupled with a spacer to add some clearance there. If you have 8 - 10 inches or so of suspension travel I think you would want the Jeep sitting at ride height near the middle of that range. So I would want to see around 4 inches or more between the bumps and the stops at ride height.
More travel can help with the ride quality.
Progressive or multi-rate springs can do better carrying extra weight if you are heavy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts