Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally getting around to do my lift tomorrow. I have seen something before on a certain order to remove the springs. Now I can't find that info. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Jack your rig up high enough on stands and disconnect the swaybar links and shocks, slowly let down the axle. It should droop enough to really just grab the spring and pull it out.

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
after your frame is on jack stands, raising one side of your axle by the knuckle to full stuff, or until the frame is about to come off the jack stand, the opposite side should basically fall out. you can install the taller spring in that location at that time, but i would take an extra step and after removing one coil, do the opposite to remove the second coil, install your shocks and cycle your axle to dial in your bump stop extension. that way you know that your shocks wont be acting as your bumpstop and you can check for any other interference before that may occur before the bumpstop cup contacts the pad.

then disconnect the shocks at the lower mount point and install your new springs by following the same raise one knuckle at a time method.

ive seen a post about starting on a particular side but i dont think it really matters unless you are installing 4"+ springs

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. So I'm working on the rear rite now. I go to take off my sway bar links and I DO NOT SEE THEM!!! I bought my jeep used for a jeep dealership!!! I guess that explained y the back moves so much. I never knew since this is really the 1st time I have ever had a reason to look for them. My new kit comes with all 4 new ones. Prob is now in not real sure where they g on the back?? Man.....

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
the sway bar is still there, just no links?

The factory sway bar mounts in front of the rear axle, just to be sure you are looking in the right area

·
Registered
357 Posts
Deal I found on Craigslist

Just looking through Craigslist today and found this:

2003 Jeep Wrangler

If I had a few extra bucks, time and a way to haul this home, I'd have to go buy this.

Just sayin', I'm in no way affiliated with the seller and just spotted what I thought was a good deal and figured I'd pass it on here.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Thanks guys. So I'm working on the rear rite now. I go to take off my sway bar links and I DO NOT SEE THEM!!! I bought my jeep used for a jeep dealership!!! I guess that explained y the back moves so much. I never knew since this is really the 1st time I have ever had a reason to look for them. My new kit comes with all 4 new ones. Prob is now in not real sure where they g on the back?? Man.....
The top of links bolt to the frame in the rear, and the sway bar itself is bolted to the front of the axle. The lower end of the links bolt to the sway bar

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hmmm I know a guy in Maryland who'd probably pay a bounty for finding something like this. He'll pull the engine and make his money (including hauling it back from Michigan) back, then get to work on the profits...

·
Registered
215 Posts
I'd like to see how bad the rust is. Reading about the swaybar links leads me to think that rust has all but taken over.

·
Registered
263 Posts
240k Colorado miles....how much would that supposedly fine transmission and engine fetch? The rest of it is likely rusted out.

I guess you could make a bunch off small parts since it's an '03 and shouldn't really be dead yet. Doesn't seem worth the effort to me.

Who's paying $500 for a set of stock rims and worn out MTs?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If this was to be a trail rig, i'd g for it. But it it were to be a DD, i'd pass. Too much parts and labor to get this thing road worthy. MIGHT make a profit off of parts, but with everything in this Jeep being damaged/rusted in some way, it will take a while to unload parts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts