Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think I already know the answer (and did search as well) but just wanted verification as I havent been on the forums in a good year and a half or more!

Have a 2014 JKU with TF 2.5 lift w/shocks, TF Axle side rear trackbar relo bracket, Rancho geo correction brackets (old design), Adjustable front TB, 35" tires.

Getting ready to add about 200 lbs to the front and 100 to the rear with bumpers and winch. Installed the lift kit a few years back - not sure if any sag has occurred, but guessing a little maybe. I did a quick test by adding the appropriate weight to the front and rear (nice having a gym at home!) and measured the drop. Came out to somewhere between 1/2" to 3/4".

What I'm wondering is would there be any major issues if I added TF 1/2" spacers front and rear with the existing kit? The kit I have only has the springs and the factory isolators. If I remember correctly from when I had just a spacer/leveling kit, the TF spacers were used in conjuction with the factory spring isolators (at least I know they definitely were with the rears - not completely positive about the fronts).

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
No issue at all if offsetting weight. I'd suggest 3/4 front and 1/2 rear if you are adding more weight to the front.

·
Registered
179 Posts
SAG. I will give you my experience. I "had" the TF 2.5" coill spring lift with TF 9550 shocks for 2.5" lift. I have the TF monster adjustable front and rear track bars also. This was put on my 2-dr 2016 Willys. I had a soft top and hard top. I got a good 3" lift in front and 2" lift in back. Also ran stock MT tires.

I started noticing sag with the hard top only in the rear. I added a Gobi roof rack with 2 ladders and the front rack. I also added a hi-lift jack mounted on Gobi rack (got the Gobi lockable mounts for it). I added a hard rock winch mount (stock bumpers) and then a Smittybilt H2O 10K winch with synth line and replaced my MTs with Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17 size. I also added some recovery gear in the back. I added a total of about 450 lbs (adding hard top) from when I installed the TF 2.5" lift. Initially I was thinking 300+ lbs until I actually calculated the added weight.

My front sagged 3/4 inch BUT my rear sagged over 2" back to stock height!!!! I was expecting an inch max sag in the rear. I really thought my rear coil springs were defective.

Last week I called TF. Talked to Jim. He said the 2-dr 2.5" coil springs were rated for 160 lbs each shock. We talked springs. He recommended the Outback 3" coil springs rated at 250 lbs each shock. He noted that some people find them too stiff. ButI could go with their normal 4" rear springs to get my lift back.

I ordered the Outback 3" springs. Installed them this past weekend. Got 3" lift in back with all the weight. It increased the rake almost 2 inches (back to front) with my TF 2.5" coil springs. So same day added a 1" spacer to both front springs. Adjusted the drag bars to recenter the axles and sdjusted the steering wheel. Still have about an inch rake.

Drove to work today. Country roads with bumps, &etc, highway, and freeway that is being torn up (lots of uneven pavement pit holes). I really liked the rear springs. Only a couple of places did it feel stiff. Jeep handle great. No wandering. So today I ordered the Outback 3" coils for the front and since my shocks are for a 2.5" lift and I now have a 3" lift I ordered the TF 9550 shocks for 3"-4" lifts. I also ordered the exhaust spacer kit. I talked to Jerremy at TF and he also said the Outbacks are good for my set up especially as I add more weight for camping, &etc. Also will see after install if I am going to get new adjustable lower control arms or Geo brackets for castor correction. That will depend on how the jeep handles. Didn't need it on my 2.5" lift as I had no flighty steering or wandering.

This was my experience with my 2.5" lift. Each jeep will be different depending on what is added and what the weight is. I will say I was very disappointed that my rear springs sagged that much but after talking with two people at TF what happened was normal for the extra weight I added to the 2-dr springs.

Note: one person on the forum said TF recommended the Outback springs only if you have 600+ lbs. Dunno. My Jeep is my faily driver snd I am good so far. We'll see after I add the front coils and correct shocks. Sorry for the long reply.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the suggestions! I am hoping I dont get that much sag in the rear as the only thing I will be adding back there is the new bumper.

The bumpers I'm looking at are around 80 lbs. and most of the winches come in around 60-80 so I'm looking at 150+ for the front and 80 for the rear, though for the rear I am probably at nearly what I added to the front since I have put on a larger spare and the TF hinged carrier.

I tried to look for a 3/4" front spacer but could only find the 1/2" and 1". Does TF make a 3/4"?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Here's my advice. Install all your goodies. Then measure from the ground to your fender lips at all corners. You'll most likely find out you have 1/2 to 3/4" higher on the driver's side. No problems with spacers. I have a whole collection of teraflex spring spacers. Use what it takes to get your jeep level (don't forget to factor driver weight) and the rake the way you like. There's 1/2, 3/4, and 1" spacers. I'm currently running 1/2" spacers on the passenger side only.

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Appreciate the suggestions! I am hoping I dont get that much sag in the rear as the only thing I will be adding back there is the new bumper.

The bumpers I'm looking at are around 80 lbs. and most of the winches come in around 60-80 so I'm looking at 150+ for the front and 80 for the rear, though for the rear I am probably at nearly what I added to the front since I have put on a larger spare and the TF hinged carrier.

I tried to look for a 3/4" front spacer but could only find the 1/2" and 1". Does TF make a 3/4"?
TF doesn't, but Synergy does. Also, as above, it's best to get all your weight on before setting the puck size. Although I recommend measuring the pinch seams right behind the front tire and right in front of the back tire. The fenders are not mounted at the same height on the body. Go up the amount you want plus the delta between the front and rear measurement. That's the more scientific way of doing it...

You already did some measuring and nay be perfectly happy going with the 3/4 and 1/2 combo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TF doesn't, but Synergy does. Also, as above, it's best to get all your weight on before setting the puck size. Although I recommend measuring the pinch seams right behind the front tire and right in front of the back tire. The fenders are not mounted at the same height on the body. Go up the amount you want plus the delta between the front and rear measurement. That's the more scientific way of doing it...

You already did some measuring and nay be perfectly happy going with the 3/4 and 1/2 combo.
That sounds like a plan. When I did my measurements (with substitute weights) I actually did measure at the pinch seam as well as the frame. I actually found some 3/4" on a few sites - think Skyjacker had 3/4". Will probably purchase several thicknesses to be prepared after the bumpers and winch go on. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts