Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to put new rear leaf springs on my 89 YJ. It has a 2.5" lift. Any recommendations on good brands to purchase or advice on which ones not to buy would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
greg

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,979 Posts
Check out any of the many posts in history and the result is the same. Stay away from Rough Country.
BDS, Rubicon Express (RE), Old Man Emu (OME) are the goto brands.

Tell us more of how you want the Jeep to ride, What you use it for, and budget. All will help you get what you want. There are also a few good custom builders Alcan and General Spring that are worth looking at, but I don't think they are as Jeep YJ saavy. JMHO.

Reactions: vmxwinn

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Check out any of the many posts in history and the result is the same. Stay away from Rough Country.
BDS, Rubicon Express (RE), Old Man Emu (OME) are the goto brands.

Tell us more of how you want the Jeep to ride, What you use it for, and budget. All will help you get what you want. There are also a few good custom builders Alcan and General Spring that are worth looking at, but I don't think they are as Jeep YJ saavy. JMHO.
I do not do any off roading. I just use the Jeep for pleasure riding on nice days. I don't mind a stiff ride as long as it does not toss me into the back seat as I am 66 years old.
thanks for any advice,
greg

·
Registered
93 hi-po 2.5 AX5 RE 2.5" lift with 31" speed enhancing tires
1,268 Posts
I am curious why you are only doing the rear springs?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
4,979 Posts
I'm a fan of RE, I have 2.5" springs with Rancho rs5000 shocks on one, RE double tube shocks on the other. The rancho setup runs stiff, but a responsive stiff, very comfotable you feel the bumps but not a bounce. The re shocks give it a cushier ride with a slower recovery, a little bit of bounce. That could also be partially due to the softer seats, but I still can feel the slower recovery than with the ranchos.
OME is rumored to be an overall better ride, but I havent ran them.
Bilsyein shocks are also considered to give a better overall ride, but I'll leave that to those that run them.
Tire choice will also shange the ride depending on the Tire, Size, and Air pressure.

Hope that helps.

·
Los Angeles
1993 Wrangler YJ 4.0
2,449 Posts
Maybe try to identify what you have because some manufacturers have lifetime warranties.

·
Registered
93 hi-po 2.5 AX5 RE 2.5" lift with 31" speed enhancing tires
1,268 Posts
I bought the RE 2.5" lift kit. I am very happy with it.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I have RE 4.5 Spings and last winter installed a set of Bilstein 5100’s. Really impressed with the soft smooth but controlled ride.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts