Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the RK dual rate and no bump stops (I know working on it) anyways they seem insanely soft, I'm smashing track bar and drag link against the frame with local city driving, I have a heavy front end, ( bumper winch, dual battery etc..)

So what springs do you have? I'm looking to either go progressive (probably not) or linear and up to 4" from 3.5. And is this typical for springs? I don't have experience with drag link flips so I never noticed if springs were like this on previous jeeps.

Thanks guys

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Shocks are your issue not springs. If your springs were too soft, your Jeep would sag or sit low. If the ride is bouncy or you have brake dive, you have a shock issue.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shocks are meant to go from bottom to top, without any change in resistance a shock is only to control the springs natural tendencies. Other then jeep lean I don't have much unusual sag, little rake but nothing in the rear to counter it. I don't bounce kinda messed that up in the title lol I just bottom out very easy on the passenger side, or contact the frame I guess nothing really bottoms

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Shock absorbers are an integral part of a vehicle’s suspension. A shock absorber is designed to absorb or dampen the compression and rebound of the springs and suspension. They control the unwanted and excess spring motion. Shock absorbers keep your tires in contact with the road at all times. Before going any further, let’s discuss some key terms that will help us understand how shock absorbers work. Back in elementary school we learned about energy, more specifically, we learned about potential and kinetic energy. We also learned about the Law of Conservation of Energy. [I]The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only change forms. Potential energy is stored energy and kinetic energy is energy in motion. Now, let’s get back to shock absorbers. When you hit any bump or dip in a road, your vehicle’s suspension and springs move so the tire can stay in contact with the road and absorb the energy. The shock absorbers dampen the movement of the springs by converting the spring’s kinetic energy into thermal (heat) energy. This thermal energy is then degenerated in hydraulic fluid.Shock absorbers are an oil-filled cylinder. When your vehicle’s suspension moves, a piston moves up and down through the oil-filled cylinder. The up-and-down movement of the piston forces small amounts of fluid through orifices (tiny holes) in the piston head. Since only a small amount of fluid is forced out, this slows down the suspension’s movement and dampens the compression and rebound of the springs. Shock absorbers are also velocity-sensitive. This means that the faster the springs are moving, the more resistance the shock absorber provides.[/I]

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That says just what I said, I wish I could explain this better. A spring will go up down up down up down almost in a vibrating way the shock "dampens compression and rebound" by making that one cycle. Hit a bump a suspension with shocks goes down then back up, without shocks it goes down up down up down up down up. "Tiny holes that fluid is pushed through" that is never changing resistance unlike a spring the further it compresses the greater the rebound. Springs lift a jeep yes? So how can shocks play a part in keeping me high enough not to bottom out? I'm not bouncing around I hit a dip and the suspension cycles down (hits the drag link) then back up. My shocks are in good working order

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
Your springs are not being properly controlled. That's why the ride feels bouncy.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IT IS NOT BOUNCY!!! I just bottom out lol

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Admin how do I change the title of this thread? I'm confusing people

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the 2 1/2" rk triple rates with rancho 5000xs and just daily driving they compress the shocks 3". I have a tie strap on the shock rod to show travel. It doesn't feel like it, still feels firm.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
So, what shocks are you running? All shocks are valved differently and yours may be too loosely valved. And get some damn bump stops in there.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
image-3684560177.jpg

I have a good 4-5" I'm starting to wonder if this is what's banging, it feels like bottoming out but I'm not seeing wear marks, nvm there's marks on the drag link

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
3.5" RK springs and OME shocks, first set of OME they were sold out of bilstiens

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Shocks should be fine, but will run softer than a Bilstein. Definitely need longer bump stops. You're compressing to the point of something meeting frame.

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It must be the momentum into the dips, I've got a ton of room. This must be normal, just with jeep lean and 100+ lbs of battery it's able to crash together

image-3203995270.jpg

image-2097455747.jpg

That was sketchy as hell btw lol don't be an idiot like me and try this at home

·
Registered
910 Posts
Is the swaybar hitting that protruding knob coming out of the frame?

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is the swaybar hitting that protruding knob coming out of the frame?
No swaybar is free and clear, I thought the bolts from the discos might be catching the spring retainer also

1 - 17 of 17 Posts