Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 4.0 and it has been running a little rough for a while. I runs fine, but at idle it would intermitantly drop down to almost a stall then jump up to 1200 rpm. Yesterday my check engine light came on and my jeep intermitantly will sputter(misfire?) in low rpms under a load. At the same time I noticed my shift up arrow is no longer working( I dont know if this is a symptom of the promblem or will help diagnostics)
Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Had similar issues with my last truck, turned out to be a REALLY dirty throttle body. Cleaned it out , an it idled and ran like new again. So try that and see what happens.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got back from the local auto store and the check engine light problems were two fold. The throttle position sensor and the 02 sensor. Easy to replace? Is there anything I can do to adjust/clean/change to try before replacing?
Thanks

·
Registered
194 Posts
you could do like mentioned before and clean the TB to see if that helps...if not it may be time to replace the TPS and or O2 sensor....both are fairly easy and won't break the bank...mine was doing something similar after washing down the engine compartment...got the CEL...TPS code...changed it out and running better than when I brought it home.....:D

·
Registered
356 Posts
Can you reset the codes? Reset then drive normal. If your Jeep flutters just before that engine light comes on again, I'd start with a fouled/clogged O2 sensor. If I am not mistaking, a bad O2 sensor will be sending incorrect air/fuel readings back to the computer and the computer tries to compensate for incorrect readings, based on air/fuel ratio. Hence, the throttle body opening and closing at idle.

I have no clue what is involved with changing out O2s in a Jeep, but a Corvette is a RPITA and can be confusing replacing the rear O2s because they actually cross. If the Jeep is anything the same, make sure you change one at a time to avoid confusion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts