Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 89 YJ 6cyl manual looses between 3&4 and 4&5 gears. It sputters, bucks and looses almost all power in 5th gear!! HELP!! Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this thing?

·
Premium Member
7,064 Posts
Mine did that too. Replaced the whole exhaust (except headers) and it helped some. Mine still bucks when it's really cold out but once it warms up it doesn't do it anymore. It could be a timing issue. My chain was super loose and timing was off and rings were shot on mine before I rebuilt my motor.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
My 89 YJ 6cyl manual looses between 3&4 and 4&5 gears. It sputters, bucks and looses almost all power in 5th gear!! HELP!! Can anyone tell me what's wrong with this thing?
I wouldn't be surprised when it starts to warm up where you would be shifting into 3rd up to 5th with the increased demand, your Ignition Control Module is failing. You might not be getting enough spark which would cause that condition. It's probably due to be replaced. However, it could also be caused by the carb. If a cleaning and adjustment doesn't work I would replace the ICM at about $70. It's located under the coolant expansion tank. Plug and play. Easy to replace. Sputtering, bucking and loss of power usually means the ICM, thinking more about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Kik.. I replaced the ICM and there was no change in the performance...hard the.carb looked at...was told it was fine... its one of those high performance Weber's with the rectangular air filter... the cat maybe a job for a professional...can I just have it taken of and roll without it?

·
Registered
967 Posts
yes u can, if ur exhaust is done correctly there should be 4 9/16 bolts holding it in, soo basically just disconnect that pipe which will be removing the cat and muffler drive it down the street and c if it makes a difference. I had that problem for a while

1 - 6 of 6 Posts