Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This morning I started up my '04 4.0L 5 speed and the engine was sputtering real bad and the engine was running really rough. It has done this in the past but only momentarily just after I start it then it goes away and runs fine. But today as I accelerate the sputtering/ticking gets very loud and there is very little power. I just did the spark plugs and ignition coils about 5 months ago. Could it be the fuel pump? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
688 Posts
do you have any engine codes being thrown? mine was doing this with a bad Oxygen sensor, I unpluged it for now and it runs perfect.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If your issue was occurring immediately at start up you have a base system issue. Sensors like O2 won't come into play adjusting fuel trims until the engine has warmed and the system goes into what is referred to as Closed Loop.

Sounds like to me it is a base fuel issue-I would start with checking fuel pressure.

If by Popping as you say you are indicating you have a check engine light for an O2 related sensor code that is likely a result of again a base system problem. Fuel economy been way down as of late?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes by popping I mean that the code is showing. Codes P0132 and P0463 are showing. Yes the plug were gapped properly and tightened to torque specifications. I do not remember the brand that I bought. The fuel economy has been fine, about 17.5 miles a gallon.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I also forgot to mention that the accelerator pedal vibrates very badly with each engine sputter.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Yes by popping I mean that the code is showing. Codes P0132 and P0463 are showing. Yes the plug were gapped properly and tightened to torque specifications. I do not remember the brand that I bought. The fuel economy has been fine, about 17.5 miles a gallon.
Well the p0132 is the bank 1 number 1 O2 sensor. Even if that is not the culprit of the problem you are describing it needs to be addressed. Have you reset the code and had it come back? If so you need to check the wiring to that sensor and if it all checks out then the sensor needs to be replaced with a NGK/NTK O2 sensor. They can be found many places but RockAuto Parts Catalog seems to be the cheapest place to get them. Any other sensor (especially Bosch) will cause problems in a TJ engine.

The P0463 is a fuel level sensor circuit code. I would check all wiring to the fuel tank. Sometimes on Jeeps the wires get smashed back around the fuel tank and that could very well be the case here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I have reset the codes and it continues to show. OK I will check the wiring tonight, as I am at work now. Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I had the same O2 sensor code, try unplugging the sensors electrical connector and drive the jeep around, thats what im currently doing and my jeep runs perfect!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So unplugging the O2 sensor did nothing. Time to check fuel pressure Saturday. Thanks again guys.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,410 Posts
As mentioned above, the 02 sensor isn't in the circuit when the engine is cold. So if it still runs badly when you first start it in the morning, it's not a bad 02 sensor. I'm thinking bad fuel pump since you said the engine was sputtering when it's cold right after you start the engine.

If you end up replacing the fuel pump, avoid Spectra and Airtex which are known to cause problems. My Spectra fuel pump started crapping out within the first year after installing it. Stick with either a Mopar or Bosch fuel pump.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That is good information
I still wouldn't abandon fuel as of yet as it could be a fuel injector. The problem is it could be so many could be's if you know what I mean. If you have a scanner that can read live data that is where we need to start.

Sputtering and loss of power would also want me to check exhaust back pressure before the Cat. If it does end up and issue with the Cat need to find out what destroyed it-ie. Burning oil, running rich etc

Glad you are testing and not just throwing parts at it's that an complicate the repair as well as get expensive quickly

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks AUJeeper, so here's the skinny: The knocking was terrible. No burning oil. Does smell rich. Found metal flakes on the dip stick. Thinking its the cam shaft bearings causing the noise. Got the job started with a friend of mine , the pan drops tomorrow (exhaust bolts are a pain!) to see if there is real damage. I'll keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ethan sounds like you just need a new cam and lifters. Now would be a good time to install a good cam of ur choice. Remember the head does have to come off the motor for this job. Also if you can't pull the engine out your whole front end has to come off to get cam shaft out. Make sure to use a good cam lube on cam lifters, and cam. If not you'll wipe the lobe on start up. If replaced the above mentioned make sure to vary the rpms between 1500 to 2500 rpms to break in the new cam and lifters. Pull valve cover and mark push rods with white out marker and make sure all are rotating slowly. If so you're good. Personal preference here but I personally prefer to replace the dizzy along with the cam and lifters as a matched set. Just make sure to use the cam lube very liberally and get it all in there so you don't wipe the lobes like ur current one and coat the dizzy too. Hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts