Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an intermittent squeak under the hood that may be coming from the belt. It only happens under certain conditions but I'd like to remedy before I get stranded somewhere.

The belt looks fine, has good tension, but on the fan pulley I see some chunks of rubber stuck to it, like it was burned on.

Has anayone experienced this?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ps. I have an '06 X with 4.0L 6 cyl.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Was it wet? belts get squeeky when they get wet and loose traction, not a big deal. But im not so sure about the rubber chunks on the fan haha... is there any rubber missing from anywhere?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
I'm sure you'll get lots of answers soon, but the first thing I would do is remove the belt and clean all the pulleys. Not too difficult. Good luck.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I sprayed water on mine and it would shut up for just a couple seconds. That told me it was the belt. Then, six months later it happened to start squeeking again. I sprayed water on the belt and it did not make a difference in the noise. I shut it off then sprayed a little white lithium grease inside the shaft of the alternator (no change when started back up) then in the shaft of the water pump (and it quieted for a second) told me the water pump bearings were going bad. We replaced the water pump and since then, I went from an Avg. of 200 degrees down to Avg. 185 never going over 190.

If you spray or trickle some water on the belt, it should change the noise if it is the belt...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts