Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On every vehicle Ive bought. I always try to start with Square One on all service items so I know when to start the proper intervals. Today I changed the oil and filter and drained the radiator and filled up with a gallon of new full strength antifreeze and topped it off with distilled water. It floors me someone would install a new radiator and use plain hose water to fill it.

Next on the list:
Major tune up. Plugs, rotor, cap, wires
Change gear lube. Tranny and differentials
Change fluid in transfer case.
Lube anything with a zerk

Any other suggestions?

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,435 Posts
On every vehicle Ive bought. I always try to start with Square One on all service items so I know when to start the proper intervals. Today I changed the oil and filter and drained the radiator and filled up with a gallon of new full strength antifreeze and topped it off with distilled water. It floors me someone would install a new radiator and use plain hose water to fill it.

Next on the list:
Major tune up. Plugs, rotor, cap, wires
Change gear lube. Tranny and differentials
Change fluid in transfer case.
Lube anything with a zerk

Any other suggestions?
Every single hose and line needs inspected for signs of cracking or dry rot. replace as necessary, or in my case, everything just for the hell of it.

·
Los Angeles
1,405 Posts
Air filter
Fuel filter
Pcv or ccv cleaning
Clean battery, cables
Iacv cleaning
Tb cleaning

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good suggestions fellers! Keep em coming! It will be weekend after next before I will be back at it. I have Hog hunt permits this weekend!!

·
Super Moderator
11,984 Posts
Hope you have a smoker. Mmmm, Bacon!

I'm kinda glad we don't have hogs here in Colorado, but if we did I'd have a smoker for sure.

Good Hunting, L.M.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I searched for a '92 model oil filler cap to fit the later model aluminum (?) valve cover because the OEM style '90 model doesnt fit and its causing oil to blow all over the engine bay. Havent figured out which PCV yet, the '92 looks just like the '90. The PCV is too long, the smaller barbed portion hits something before the PCV seats down completely. Its like it doesnt need the pecker part. I am temped to slice it off but I would prefer to have the right one. Seems like the '90 stuff doesnt fit the newer model valve cover at all. I also would like to find new grommets, the old ones are pretty hard and I am sure are contributing to the oily mess under the hood. Does Omix have replacements? I am not having much luck finding replacements. I guess I need to take the old ones to NAPA and see if I can match something.

If the weather holds I am going to the junk yard to look for an intermittent wiper module and see if I can find an 8.8 with discs. The axle change out is in the future but if I find one I may grab it. Its not a JY, its an adventure!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yeah and I ordered a new multi function lever for the intermittents and a new turn signal switch. Not looking forward to snaking the new wiring down the column but the old switch is on its way out. No crisp engagement of turns and I dont like that.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,435 Posts
Oh yeah and I ordered a new multi function lever for the intermittents and a new turn signal switch. Not looking forward to snaking the new wiring down the column but the old switch is on its way out. No crisp engagement of turns and I dont like that.
It is fairly easy if you are patient, AND you drop the bolts that hold the columnto the dash. there is a sleeve that act as an insulator for the wiring that the harness slips through. you may be tempted to remove it to make more room but I woud leave it in for the wiring protection. I tied a piece of strong cord to the old connector before I pulled the old wire ribbon out to help fish the new one back down.
Good Luck

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
New dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, wires. I searched for a '92 model oil filler cap to fit the later model aluminum (?) valve cover because the OEM style '90 model doesnt fit and its causing oil to blow all over the engine bay. Havent figured out which PCV yet, the '92 looks just like the '90. The PCV is too long, the smaller barbed portion hits something before the PCV seats down completely. Its like it doesnt need the pecker part. I am temped to slice it off but I would prefer to have the right one. Seems like the '90 stuff doesnt fit the newer model valve cover at all. I also would like to find new grommets, the old ones are pretty hard and I am sure are contributing to the oily mess under the hood. Does Omix have replacements? I am not having much luck finding replacements. I guess I need to take the old ones to NAPA and see if I can match something.

If the weather holds I am going to the junk yard to look for an intermittent wiper module and see if I can find an 8.8 with discs. The axle change out is in the future but if I find one I may grab it. Its not a JY, its an adventure!!

If you have a 6 cylinder 1990 and 1992 engines are different. 1990 was a carburated 258 and 1992 was a MPFI 4.0 and they have different crank case vent setups. 1992 4.0 uses CCV and it has no PCV valve it's just a fresh air inlet from the air box to the front hole on the valve cover. Then a small tube in the back that runs to a vacuum port so the engine can burn the oily air it sucks out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts