Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-
this is just a PSA, as it was driving me nuts over the past month or two. I began to hear a squeak in the rear of my JKU when going over bumps. Nothing awful to start with, but a definitely annoying noise. I thought originally that the noise was coming from where the soft top connected to the tailgate. I have had the window rolled up a bunch and that seemed to stop the noise.

Recently, it got way worse. I was able to track it down when I closed the tailgate last night. There was the squeak! Damn!

So, what solved things was spraying the crap out of the mechanisms with WD-40. Boom. solved and done.

While this may not be earth shattering, it was something I thought I would share and memorialize here on the forum, should someone else come across this noise.

Phew.

Here's to happy (and quiet) Jeep-ing.

JR

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hey all-
this is just a PSA, as it was driving me nuts over the past month or two. I began to hear a squeak in the rear of my JKU when going over bumps. Nothing awful to start with, but a definitely annoying noise. I thought originally that the noise was coming from where the soft top connected to the tailgate. I have had the window rolled up a bunch and that seemed to stop the noise.

Recently, it got way worse. I was able to track it down when I closed the tailgate last night. There was the squeak! Damn!

So, what solved things was spraying the crap out of the mechanisms with WD-40. Boom. solved and done.

While this may not be earth shattering, it was something I thought I would share and memorialize here on the forum, should someone else come across this noise.

Phew.

Here's to happy (and quiet) Jeep-ing.

JR
first off welcome and glad your here, second, good suggestion, however I would maybe suggest something like lithium grease or similar, but that is just me, WD40 would work fine as well, but I suspect it may only be a temp fix? perhaps time will tell.:drinks:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update 2. Took the advice on the liquid silicon. Great call. When investigating further, I noticed that the hinge attaching the tailgate to the rear of the vehicle had two loose screws! That would certainly create a bunch of noise. Tightened them up, applied silicon grease and no...quiet. Thanks!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts