Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(New owner, had my JK less than 3 months)

I’m hoping someone has a solution for a squeaking hardtop. I took it off for a week, and when I put it back on I get a horrendous squeaking from the rear drivers side corner. It’s not just on bumpy roads either - very low vibrations during smooth driving gives a loud squeak as well. So loud that I can actually hear it over my radio at like 75% volume.

I had the GF drive around with me in the back, and found the noise above the rear wheel where the hardtop meets the body (not coming from the rear window seal).

I have tried torquing down the hardtop screws in every way imaginable, but the squeaking will not stop. Anyone have a fix?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Do you think it’s just where the hardtop meets the tub? There should be a little insulation on the hardtop so it is not making direct contact. If not maybe add some. Should remove any squeaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
A squeak like that would drive me absolutely crazy :)

As Jab1719 suggests, make sure the plastic of the hardtop isn't sitting directly on the tub. (There should be a gasket in between.

Also.. Check around the window washer mechanism. Bang it (gently) a few times with your fist.. There might be something loose inside. If so, you'll at least know where to look. As Teasip suggests, it could be the latch. Try thumping around that area as well...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
*SOLVED*

After extensive investigation, turns out the squeak was coming from UNDER the hardtop near the rear drivers side wheel. A small screw was rubbing against a rubber seal behind the rear bumper. WD-40 and poof, squeak gone!

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
*SOLVED*

After extensive investigation, turns out the squeak was coming from UNDER the hardtop near the rear drivers side wheel. A small screw was rubbing against a rubber seal behind the rear bumper. WD-40 and poof, squeak gone!
Glad you found it! My 16 has a 'creak' that comes from the Passenger side A pillar area.... Anyone have any ideas for that?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
*SOLVED*

I'd like to know more about this. I'm tired of adjusting my tailgate latch if it's something else that easy to remedy. FYI, adjusting the latch does seem to fix the problem for a while. I don't have a hard top but it sounds like your issue isn't directly associated with the top itself.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Turn the radio up.....:bop:

Reactions: Nottalot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Glad you found it! My 16 has a 'creak' that comes from the Passenger side A pillar area.... Anyone have any ideas for that?
I have the same issue on my 14 JKU - have you had any success in fixing this? I can't seem to find a solution besides everyone having the same problem

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have the same issue with my ‘16. Mine creaks across mild-moderate road irregularities, but off road it pops like a gun going off. I’ve taken off the freedom panels, Vaseline’d the seams, carefully reinstalled them, etc. but it still does it. It all started with the first time I ever removed the panels almost 2 years ago. Super annoying and passengers always ask “what’s that sound”?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts