Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I used some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust from a few lugs on the wheels and the hinges from the doors on my JKU, worked great, but upon the next ride I am hearing an oscillating squeak as I drive and my brakes are extra squeaky. Did I remove some sort of lubricant? Has a lug come loose? Was riding perfectly fine before, appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
What did you do once the lugs were off? It sounds like perhaps you grabbed the rotor and left a grease mark? Or you got some toilet bowl cleaner on the rotor and it needs to work off.... You could pop the tire off, look at it, spray the rotor down with brake cleaner.... Or rotate the rotor without the wheel to see if you can see or feel the squeak

·
Super Moderator
5,161 Posts
Hello,

I used some Lysol toilet bowl cleaner to remove rust from a few lugs on the wheels and the hinges from the doors on my JKU, worked great, but upon the next ride I am hearing an oscillating squeak as I drive and my brakes are extra squeaky. Did I remove some sort of lubricant? Has a lug come loose? Was riding perfectly fine before, appreciate any input.
There is no external lubricant on your brakes, or on your wheels.
But there are things there (especially the brakes) that you don't want to get lubricants or other chemicals on.
Not knowing what is in the cleaner you used, and not knowing where you applied it, it is hard to say if there is an actual problem or not.

And your door hinges should be greased or otherwise lubricated.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
The toilet bowl cleaner is acidic, that's what helps get rid of rust & hard water (mineral) stains. You definitely don't want to use an acidic cleaner in areas where you can not thoroughly rinse/neutralize the cleaner. Also, once you use acid to remove rust, the surface will typically re-rust very quickly unless you neutralize and put a coating on the surface.

My guess is that the cleaner got into areas like the hinges and brake pad backing plate contact points (between the pads and the caliper & between the pads and the caliper brackes), which has caused corrosion and resulted in noise.

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
The toilet bowl cleaner is acidic, that's what helps get rid of rust & hard water (mineral) stains. You definitely don't want to use an acidic cleaner in areas where you can not thoroughly rinse/neutralize the cleaner. Also, once you use acid to remove rust, the surface will typically re-rust very quickly unless you neutralize and put a coating on the surface.

My guess is that the cleaner got into areas like the hinges and brake pad backing plate contact points (between the pads and the caliper & between the pads and the caliper brackes), which has caused corrosion and resulted in noise.
Doh... so what your saying is use the proper chemical for the proper job?
I think I found OP!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts