Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a new bumper and tire carrier a week ago. (Rock climber) Now noticing squeaks when I go over any rough terrain. Any idea what could be causing it!? It seems really sturdy and well mounted! I've got a 3" lift done at home last year surely it's not the springs... I have 35's on 17's. I've pushed around on everything and can't replicate what I get driving down a rough road! Thanks for your input! 2010 sport.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
It's common for bumper mounted tire carriers to squeak. It's one of the reason many of us prefer the non bumper mount, TF type carriers.

The most common source of the squeaks are from where the pole of the carrier mounts into the bumper flange. If that fit is not sitting in there perfectly straight when tightened down, squeaks occur. Many have loosened it up, adjusted the carrier so it is level and straight, and then re-tightened and that seems to have fixed the squeaks for some.

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
Who makes Rock Climber Tire carrier ? I would check every moving part and mating surfaces for lube, and lube them. I do not believe squeaks with tire carriers are common at all unless you are surrounded by people with Chinese made carriers. I will have my JKUR 10 years in two months, and have had my American made tire carrier for 9 of them. It has carried a 35 x 18 x 12.5 the whole time and has never squeaked one single time. And I do wheel probably more then the average. It does have a Zirk fitting for lubing the bearing and I lube it probably once a year. Again, I don't know who makes your bumper but I think it's always best to invest in what you think is high quality the first time around.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry, i meant Rock Crawler... and yes, we lubed the hell out of it. lol. Yeah, it wasn't the most expensive on the market...but def not the cheapest either. It does seem super sturdy and well made. My husband was impressed with it. Just started noticing the squeaking today after driving it for a week- may have him check it all out and make sure everything is snug and lubed well. It's only occasional, but i can't live with a squeak.

·
Premium Member
615 Posts
I have a RSE bumper and carrier. On mine, it attaches to the bumper, and an adjustable arm attaches to the door where the factory carrier was. Every once in a while I have to hit the joints at the end of the arm with a little WD-40 which silences it. Otherwise, the squeaking can get very loud with any little bump. Don't know if you have anything similar on yours.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I've got the Bestop highrock rear tire carrier bumper. It had a awful groan anytime my Jeep flexed. Heck rolling into my driveway with a 1 inch rise maybe, it would groan like a forty year old jalopy. What I found was the body tub just barely touched and rubbed on the bumper. Pulled the bumper off and cut out half inch of the bumper away from the tub. That's fixed the majority of the noise. Still got a little, but I can live with it now.
I don't think Bestop quite got their welds, because during the install I had to jack, twist, drill the hole a little bigger. Take a flashlight and follow the tub/bumper line and see if you have contact points.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts