Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the transmission replaced, and I have to say, it's nice to be able to shift through the gearbox without grinding way every single gear I touch! Now for the next issue - when I drive at any speed, the whole jeep will torque to the right when I let off the gas pedal (or hit the clutch) and twist to the left to be going straight again when I step on the gas once more (or engage the clutch). It is instantaneous rather than continuous, so it will just shift a certain amount and then maintain its new heading, not continue to pull one way. At the same time as the twisting occurs, there is a loud squeak not unlike a squeaky suspension. That noise seems to come from the front end.

It has been suggested that one of the brakes may be sticking. I felt around the rotors and drums after driving and none seems significantly hotter than the other. I will continue to monitor this, though, and see if I can determine through other means if I have any faulty brake assemblies.

Another suggestion was the 4wd setup. If the front axle was partially engaging or sticking somehow, that may cause that torque. I will drive home from the office today is 4-hi to see if that changes anything. If the ride is straight, that would point fingers to that heinous vacuum CAD box, right?

Any suggestions you guys can offer are greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
If it were brakes I think you would feel it all the time or more during braking not acceleration. The 4x4 maybe. I would check motor mounts while your under the hood. I have had bad motor mounts give a similar feeling. Just a thought GL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm very good suggestions. I hadn't thought of those, but I'll give them a look over when I have some daylight time. Might be tomorrow afternoon if I'm lucky - I'll post back when I get those bits inspected.

·
Registered
144 Posts
dvanny said:
I will drive home from the office today is 4-hi to see if that changes anything.
I believe we are not supposed to drive a 4x4 (as opposed to an AWD vehicle) on dry pavement, in 4x4 mode, as it causes "driveline windup" and then expensive parts can go "snap!"

(The P.O. of my 1996 F-250 Heavy Duty did this, while pulling an admittedly heavy boat up a concrete ramp. He was fine until he turned, at the top of the ramp--and broke part of the transmission aluminum casing and/or trans mount--he did this TWICE, so the details escape me....)

IOW, other than when going 100% straight ahead, the wheels turn at different rates, causing the "windup" and risking the breakage.

I would not drive in 4x4, low or high range, unless there was snow, mud, or grass under the tires.

I'm sure others with more Jeep-specific experience can clarify, if I'm mistaken.

Good luck!

Y-Yess

·
Registered
179 Posts
Check the center pins, u-bolts and shackle movement on the rear axle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe we are not supposed to drive a 4x4 (as opposed to an AWD vehicle) on dry pavement, in 4x4 mode, as it causes "driveline windup" and then expensive parts can go "snap!"
Good thing I forgot to do that on my way home then! The guy I bought it from said he would exclusively drive in 4-hi...now you have me concerned. I'll do a more thorough inspection of mounting locations, shackles, and joints this evening.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I crawled under the Jeep just now (who needs food when you can work on a car instead?) and there are some things suspension-wise that just seem off. I'll take pictures and post them later when I have more time, but the greatest suspicion I have is that the shocks have a great deal of rotational play in them, particularly the ones in the rear. I haven't ever worked with a vehicle's suspension, so is that something that I should expect or should I replace those?

Also, the center bolt on the rear passenger leaf spring is quite loose. No bolt to tighten it up. I suppose that is probably not factory standard...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts