Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with a squeaky belt for a while, it comes and goes. usually stops after it gets hot as long as you are not calling on the motor hard. I have eliminated everything that can cause it except belt alignment. Everything lines up except the AC pulley, and it is probably two groves on the serpentine belt off. The way the AC comp. bolts to the bracket allows no adjustment from front to back for alignment. I am in the process of getting a complete bracket so I can modify it but was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and how big a deal is the alignment. nothing is wearing odd, just that little annoying squeak from time to time is driving me nuts.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
You need to figure out why that compressor pulley is so far off. Is it the wrong one, or installed incorrectly? Have you tried loosening all the different mounting bolts and forcing it forward? I t shouldn't be that far off.

Pics?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You need to figure out why that compressor pulley is so far off. Is it the wrong one, or installed incorrectly? Have you tried loosening all the different mounting bolts and forcing it forward? I t shouldn't be that far off.

Pics?
You are correct, a pic is worth a lot. If I check everything with a straight edge the AC unit is the only thing out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Are you sure its the AC unit and not the alternator? There should be a spacer between the fan and pulley on the alternator that is about two ribs thick. It's hard to tell from the picture angle.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I had it all apart and put straight edges on everything the only that didn't line up was the AC unit. Alternator was spot on with the crank and power steering pump. I had to replace the compressor when I bought the Jeep but it is exact as the one that came off and for an 89. It made this squeaky noise when I got it, I figured an easy fix, sometimes it want hardly make a noise. I assume everything has to line up with the crank correct? Here is another pic from the other side but you can't tell much but really never considered everything else would be out.

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
This squeaking noise reminded me of a vehicle I had and the squeak ended up being a bearing going bad on AC pulley.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This squeaking noise reminded me of a vehicle I had and the squeak ended up being a bearing going bad on AC pulley.

Man I wish, this was a rebuilt compressor with new bearings in it and the clutch, that doesn't mean you can't get a bad one, that's why I asked how critical alignment was. As the one photo shows the ac pulley is out of line but there is no adjustment to correct. I replaced the compressor for one for that year and it matched the old one perfect. I am basing all alignment off the crank as there is no way for that one to move, and it is brand new by the way. I am at a loss why this would be out so much but I am buying another mount for the ac compressor so that I can modify that one to allow for adjustment.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, if all the others line up and the harmonic pulley is new, It will be the A/C that's out. Maybe it has a defect from the reman.
Just for giggles, I would try and find a compressor at the parts store and take a few measurements and compare to yours to verify that yours is different. Hopefully you can mod the mount enough to realign it

·
Registered
684 Posts
On my 89 factory ac yj, I had an idler pulley directly next to my comp that made it sound like my ac comp was squeaking. After replacing the idler, problem solved.
EDIT: yours is a serp belt, mine is a v belt.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a follow up on this. I cut a 1/4" off the front bolt attachments on the AC bracket and I had to turn the L-bracket at the rear of the AC comp. around and add some spacers. It worked great, you do not have to run the belt so tight and the belt does not make any noise, in fact I am amazed at how much quieter it is now.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts