Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch squeaks. 2013 JK, 30,000km

Drawing from your experiences, is this more likely to be an issue with the throw out bearing or the pressure plate? Or something else?

Clutch doesn't slip. I can 'feel' the squeaks in the pedal. Then, out of the blue, the squeak stops for 10-15 clutch presses but then starts again. I can find no correlation to any other factors. (97% squeak, 3% normal).

What do you guys think?

edit: Video on youtube:https://youtu.be/7XbXX5owFy8

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My clutch squeaks. 2013 JK, 30,000km Drawing from your experiences, is this more likely to be an issue with the throw out bearing or the pressure plate? Or something else? Clutch doesn't slip. I can 'feel' the squeaks in the pedal. Then, out of the blue, the squeak stops for 10-15 clutch presses but then starts again. I can find no correlation to any other factors. (97% squeak, 3% normal). What do you guys think? edit: Video on youtube:https://youtu.be/7XbXX5owFy8
Boy, that sucks. Sorry bro.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
I had to replace the clutch in my TJ at 119K miles. It squeaked like that but not nearly as loud (it could only be heard with the door open). You should still have some warranty left, I would take it to the dealer. If you don't want to do that, take it to a trusted local mechanic. Having my clutch redone and changing the transmission and transfer case fluid while they were out was a little over $650, but it is a small shop in a rural area. (I have a good friend who worked for him as a teen and still uses him for his transmission work and engine work he can't do). A reasonable price I have seen quoted in larger shops in metro areas is about $1000, almost double that at a dealer (flat rates just kill you).

·
Registered
210 Posts
My clutch squeaks. 2013 JK, 30,000km

Drawing from your experiences, is this more likely to be an issue with the throw out bearing or the pressure plate? Or something else?

Clutch doesn't slip. I can 'feel' the squeaks in the pedal. Then, out of the blue, the squeak stops for 10-15 clutch presses but then starts again. I can find no correlation to any other factors. (97% squeak, 3% normal).

What do you guys think?

edit: Video on youtube:https://youtu.be/7XbXX5owFy8
My 08 rubi did the same , turned out to be the clutch slave on the firewall

·
Registered
666 Posts
My clutch squeaks. 2013 JK, 30,000km Drawing from your experiences, is this more likely to be an issue with the throw out bearing or the pressure plate? Or something else? Clutch doesn't slip. I can 'feel' the squeaks in the pedal. Then, out of the blue, the squeak stops for 10-15 clutch presses but then starts again. I can find no correlation to any other factors. (97% squeak, 3% normal). What do you guys think? edit: Video on youtube:https://youtu.be/7XbXX5owFy8
It's the crappy plastic slave cylinder. I've had it for 73k miles on my 2012. I've just learned to deal with it as the clutch works fine

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken it to the dealer. They claim it's the pressure plate and that they will not cover it under warranty. If it was the throw out bearing, then they would do it. However, they have not opened the clutch to inspect it yet because they want me to agree to pay for the work and a compete clutch assembly before they do so.

I'm claiming that since the clutch is not slipping it's not wear and tear, but a clear warranty case.

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of having different dealers that I can go to...

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mines in the dealer for the same issue. I think its the throw out bearing honestly. Mine is not as bad as the video but same thing.

First dealer replaced slave and said there something wrong with the clutch and its not covered under warranty (12,500 miles on it and exactly one year old) I told them the clutch disc would not be covered but am quite sure both the throw out bearing and pressure plate would be. Didnt get anywhere with them aside from a new slave.

Issue persists. Took it to a larger dealer with a much more knowledgeable service department. Tried to get them to agree to inspect it under warranty and could not. So right now they are tearing it down and if its not covered under warranty its on my dime.

A bit nerrving but to be honest how could they refuse it as being a warranty issue at this point? That would have to be a PR nightmare.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Mines in the dealer for the same issue.
Please share what the root cause and solution end up being.

Mine has been creaking like that for a long time. I was lazy and never got around to taking it to the dealer (partially because my last warranty repair at a dealer was a disaster that caused more problems that they initially tried to solve). I passed 36k miles yesterday, so now I'm out of warranty :(

·
Registered
666 Posts
Please share what the root cause and solution end up being. Mine has been creaking like that for a long time. I was lazy and never got around to taking it to the dealer (partially because my last warranty repair at a dealer was a disaster that caused more problems that they initially tried to solve). I passed 36k miles yesterday, so now I'm out of warranty :(
FYI mine stopped creaking 10k miles ago. I'm at 73k now. It may go away for you it may not

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Mine does it as well, I had read it was the slave cylinder so I bought a new one and swapped it in and.... Same noise made no difference.

Took it to the dealer and they said I would have to replace the clutch on my dime and what I'm hearing is just "normal clutch noises" and that "all clutches make that noise". That was at 34000 miles I'm at 62000 now and I have had no issues with it, never slipped or anything else I just live with it, all told mines probably been doing it for near 50000 miles now no issues so I figure whatever...

And I had the trow out bearing replaced under warranty this is a different noise (could still be it but who knows).

·
Registered
837 Posts

Mine has been creaking like that for a long time. I was lazy and never got around to taking it to the dealer (partially because my last warranty repair at a dealer was a disaster that caused more problems that they initially tried to solve). I passed 36k miles yesterday, so now I'm out of warranty :(
Warranty? I think the turbo kinda sorta mighta screwed the pooch on that LMAO. Its either the pressure plate or throw out bearing and or clutch arm pivot. I was more concerned with the rattling in neutral. Clutch out in neutral and it would sometimes knock/rattle sounding like gravel in the trans. Either way if I were to open it myself I would replace all those parts. Hopefully they will do the same.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Warranty? I think the turbo kinda sorta mighta screwed the pooch on that LMAO. Its either the pressure plate or throw out bearing and or clutch arm pivot. I was more concerned with the rattling in neutral. Clutch out in neutral and it would sometimes knock/rattle sounding like gravel in the trans. Either way if I were to open it myself I would replace all those parts. Hopefully they will do the same.
the rattle is the input shaft on the trans. That's why it goes away if you put the clutch in. Just the crappy tolerances in the transmission.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

+1

Please let us know how it ends up, as it will surely affect my decision on what to do. Fix it or turn up the stereo/go topless

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It's just unfortunate that the jeep seems so 'fragile'. I've had mainly japanese vehicles previously and they have all seemed more robust.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey guys.

Dealer replaced the throw out bearing and "retainer shaft".

Squeak noise is gone and the rattle in neutral is 90% gone. Back to what I would consider normal.

0 charge to me but they dont tell you that until its done. Took TWO weeks.

Clutch is smoothe as butter but now it will take getting used to again :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey guys.

Dealer replaced the throw out bearing and "retainer shaft".

Squeak noise is gone and the rattle in neutral is 90% gone. Back to what I would consider normal.

0 charge to me but they dont tell you that until its done. Took TWO weeks.

Clutch is smoothe as butter but now it will take getting used to again :)
Thanks for the feed-back! Glad it worked out well for you. I'll probably take it in again and see where we end up...

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
They replaced the TOB this week and bell housing 3 weeks ago. The noise isn't as bad. They said my clutch needs to be replaced not covered under warranty. They were charging $975 so I declined. Clutch has never skipped before. I don't think it needs replacing!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks... new here (first post)... Had to chime in on this. Just went through this. Had the squeaking noise. Took jeep into dealer and was immediately told that it wouldn't be warranty work. Mechanic said he thought it was slave cylinder. Changed that out; still squeaking. With $340.00 down the drain, they said they would have to pull the whole tranny to figure what was wrong. They wanted $1500.00 on top of the $340 I'd already dropped. Told them to close it up. Took jeep to my car mechanic. He normally only works on foreign cars, but he said he would do some research and to bring it in. Supposedly this is a known issue. What he did was to drill a small whole in the housing and used a product called Fluid Film. It sprays in like any aerosol, but thickens up like a grease. Couple short squirts and he closed the whole with some silicone. It's been 2 weeks and all is good. No other issues with the clutch or tranny other than the noise.:iamhappy:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts