Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 94 YJ and every time I start it up, it squeals very loud! It lasts for probably 30 seconds, than goes away and doesnt squeak anymore when i drive it. If I give it a little throttle in neutral as soon as I turn it on, it gets louder but goes away quicker. The problem is that its just annoying and embarrassing when I go to turn it on :/ I'm not to mechanically inclined but I'm going to assume its a belt. So any suggestions on how to stop it?? Any help is very appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know how the configuration is on a 4.0 or 2.5,but I had that issue on my 88 4.2. Nothing I did seemed to work. Drove me crazy. This all happened after I installed a new engine. Turned out the alternator bracket was twisted ever so slightly. Took darn near three hours to get it twisted back to the point where it wasn't squealing.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I had the same problem with my 87 and it started to drive me nuts. After I checked that the belt tension was correct and that the pulleys lined up, I tried all of the usual remedies but they just turned out to be bandaids on the problem and the noise always returned. For $11 a new belt solved my problem and after four months the squeal has not returned. Just my experience

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I will go out and buy a new one. Seems to be the first step I should take to try to solve it. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I had the same problem with my 87 and it started to drive me nuts. After I checked that the belt tension was correct and that the pulleys lined up, I tried all of the usual remedies but they just turned out to be bandaids on the problem and the noise always returned. For $11 a new belt solved my problem and after four months the squeal has not returned. Just my experience
Where is the belt tensioner on the 87?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had the same problem. Tried tightening both V-belts. Found out the mount for my power steering pump was broken. Bought a whole pump just to get the bracket. Before I could put it on my water pump gave up the ghost. Turns out that was my problem. Replaced the pump, both radiator hoses and both belts. Jeep runs better than it ever has. I don't know if it makes any sense but I think the bad bearing was actually dragging down the engine. With a 2.5l every couple of horsepower is noticeable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts