Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my jeep is makeing an ungodly squeal when ever i press the gas or even stop and wait at a light
what do i do??

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Loose/bad serpentine belt is what first comes to my mind. They need to be replaced once it reaches 70-80k miles. If that is it, look at the last two numbers on the belt's part number on the outside of your serpentine belt. Those last two inches are the belt's length in inches. I suggest that because when/if you buy a new belt, the auto parts stores won't always give you the right length so match up the new belt's length to your old belt to make sure it's the right one.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ill check that

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
is there mud under the hood on your belts? lol

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there mud under the hood but not on my belts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
after the belt check the tension pulleys, there are two

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok ill check that at school

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a random chirping sound only when its cold, replaced idler pulley and tension pulley and it's still there, I'm guessing it's the water pump or alternator ..

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a random chirping sound only when its cold, replaced idler pulley and tension pulley and it's still there, I'm guessing it's the water pump or alternator ..
My power steering pump chirps when it gets low on fluid.

·
Registered
535 Posts
after the belt check the tension pulleys, there are two
X2. I've replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys twice since I owned the Jeep. They make an ungodly squeal when the bearings wear out. I think the mud, dirt, and water from offroading shortens their life. The first set I got at Autozone and they crapped out in about a year and a half. I replaced them with a set from NAPA that were made in the USA. Those seem to be holding out better. Also, if you can get your hands on a tool that measures the deflection of the serpentine belt it will give you an indication if the tensioner might be bad.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still aint figured it out
and it sounds worse now

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive checked the belts and pullys and they checked out
i had one of the instructors at NADC check it too