Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ive done some research and didnt really find the right answers but my 99 tj 4cly without ac...and it squeals/squeaks when you turn it on and when u give it gas I have sprayed the belt and it will go away but then come back within miles of driving ive been reading about gatorback belts but cant seem to find the part number any help would be appreciated :) thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
replace the belt pulleys available at any major chain retailer, mine use to squeak replaced them put on a new belt no more squealing

·
Registered
135 Posts
just remove the belt and try to spin each pulley by hand... if you come across one that sounds like its shaking replace that one. i dont think its necessary to replace them all.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok cool .. cause the squeal will go away if I spray some belt dressing but then itll come back
Here is a video that I made the other day that can relate to this post. I believe it is the third pulley that I spin in the video that you can tell is bad.
Also, I would replace the belt. If you can find a Goodyear Gatorback, they are really good belts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV53AaEZzKw

·
Registered
106 Posts
Dealing with the exact same thing right now - anything special I need to know about the belt removal? Forgot to add that I have a 2.5.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Nothing to it. If yours is like our 97 4.0, you loosen the pulley bolt (the one in the center of the pulley) below the p/steering pulley. Look close and you'll see a bolt head sticking out sideways to the left of the pulley, that's your adjustment. Back off the bolt till the belt is loose. Remove old, install new, wise to spin the tensioner and idler pulleys to check for bad bearings. Tighten adjuster bolt, you want approx 1/2" deflection if you push hard on the belt at it's longest span. Tighten the pulley bolt and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Shelby427 said:
Nothing to it. If yours is like our 97 4.0, you loosen the pulley bolt (the one in the center of the pulley) below the p/steering pulley. Look close and you'll see a bolt head sticking out sideways to the left of the pulley, that's your adjustment. Back off the bolt till the belt is loose. Remove old, install new, wise to spin the tensioner and idler pulleys to check for bad bearings. Tighten adjuster bolt, you want approx 1/2" deflection if you push hard on the belt at it's longest span. Tighten the pulley bolt and you should be good to go.
This is one way, but if your 99 is anything like my 2001, all you need is a 1/2" drive preferably with a long handle and there is a square slot in the tensioner, place the drive in the slot and pull to the right... this will release the tension on the belt and it will slip right off. Check to see that your jeep has the belt routing on a sticker near the radiator, if not make sure to take note of the routing that the belt makes around the pulleys

Just tighten it... DON'T spray belt dressing on it. No. No. No.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think ill go with the gatorback but I cant seem to find the right part number I have the 2.5 4cly with no ac

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I think ill go with the gatorback but I cant seem to find the right part number I have the 2.5 4cly with no ac
You don't need a part number. Take off the belt and take to an auto parts store. You just need one the same length and width. Once off, check your pulleys. If they all spin freely it's just a worn belt.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
See mine started squeeling after I replaced it.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I don't think you understand that your belt us perfectly fine. Do you have cracks that stretch the length of the belt? Down the belt, not across it. If not, then your fine, just tighten it up.

·
Registered
16,932 Posts
Can you over tighten a belt?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't think you understand that your belt us perfectly fine. Do you have cracks that stretch the length of the belt? Down the belt, not across it. If not, then your fine, just tighten it up.

I dont see any cracks but the top of the belt has some smooth markings from spinning

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can you over tighten a belt?
The way I heard it is that you want about 1/2" of give at the widest point between the pulleys (when pressed on with your thumb). I don't know for sure, but when the belt has more load on it when driving I could see it failing from stress if it is extremely tight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts